Bastirma - Pastirma
Posted: 17 December 2008 01:39 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

Bastirma is a very delicious pressed cured meat from Turkey and middle east…

see this , then i will post u the receipt

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pastirma

Posted: 18 December 2008 05:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

Pastirma
Pastirma is salted and dried beef from mature animals. The complete production process for pastirma requires several weeks. The meat is mostly taken from the hindquarters and is cut into 50 to 60 cm long strips with a diameter of not more than 5 cm. The strips are rubbed and covered with salt. Several incisions are made in the meat to facilitate salt penetration. The salted meat strips are arranged in piles about 1 m high, repeatedly repiled and kept for two days. Thereafter the meat strips are washed and air-dried for two to three days in summer and for 15 to 20 days in winter. After drying the strips are piled up again to a height of 30 cm and pressed with heavy weights for 12 hours. After another drying period of two to three days the meat pieces are again pressed for 12 hours. Finally the meat is again air-dried for 5 to 10 days. After the salting and drying process, the entire surface of the meat is covered with a 3 to 5 mm thick layer of a paste called cemen. Cemen consists of 35% freshly ground garlic, 20% helba (i.e. ground trefoil seed), 6% hot red paprika, 2% ground mustard seds, and 37% water. Helba is used as a binder of the paste; the other ingredients are spices. Garlic is the most important ingredient as it has antimycotic properties. The meat strips covered with cemen are stored in piles for one day, and thereafter dried for 5 to 12 days in a room with good air ventilation. Now the pastirma is ready for sale. The final product has an average water activity (aw) of 0.88. The aw-value should not fall below 0.85 or the meat will be too dry. The average salt content is 4.5 and should not exceed 6.0 percent. The product stays mould-free for months at ambient temperature even in summer.

Posted: 18 December 2008 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

the above was the commercial version, i will post the home made version in two days

Posted: 18 December 2008 06:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-03-04

I’ll have to give this a try, sounds great!

Posted: 20 March 2009 02:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

Pastirma eye of round i made, believe me it is wonderful taste

Image Attachments
DSC02041.jpgDSC02045.jpg

Posted: 14 April 2015 04:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2009-12-17

That looks fantastic, Nabil ... did you ever post the home made version?

‹‹ Charcuterie      Soap making ››