Canning
Posted: 11 November 2008 07:55 PM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-08-29

I’ll start this one out.  Canning is one of my favorite things to do, along with cheesemaking.  I have great recipes for things from honey spiced pears to pickled beets to pickled okra, and would be more than glad to share.  We have a large garden every year, and I am the most happy when both freezer and cabinet are full of home-grown goodness for the winter.  Here in Oklahoma, we’re just about at the end of our growing season.  If I can find time, I want to make some persimmon jelly.  I haven’t done it before, but they are ripe at the moment, and it’s something I’ve wanted to try.

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 09 December 2008 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-03-04

Anyone have a good dill pickle recipe? I have one I’d be willing to share if anyone’s interested.

Posted: 23 December 2008 08:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

I would love to have your recipe.  Please send it along.  My pickles sometimes are a limp, so maybe your recipe will cure that for me.

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 04 January 2009 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  102
Joined  2008-03-04

Sorry this took so long, here’s my favorite pickle recipe. I think the secret to a crunchy pickle is not exposing the cucumber to a hot brine. I’ve found that quart canning jars work great for making these.

5 Tbsp -  kosher salt
1 tsp -  dill seed
1/2 cup -  white wine vinegar
1 tsp - black pepper corns
1 Tbsp - pickling spice
5 cups - water
1 bunch - fresh dill
10 (about 1 lb) - baby cucumbers (washed)

Combine all the ingredients EXCEPT the cucumbers and fresh dill in a small pot and bring to a boil. Boil for 3 minutes and remove from heat, allow brine to cool to room temperature. Place the cucumbers and fresh dill into a jar and pour in the brine, filling the jar completely. Place jar in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 weeks.

Posted: 04 January 2009 12:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

Thanks!  I’ll save this and use it this summer when the garden is going.

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 01 November 2009 06:05 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

Hey, Iowa Cheese Maker

I tried your cold pickle recipe this summer and it was a hit.  In one jar I put some garlic and in another some hot peppers to vary the flavor.  My husband is a pickle connoissuer, and he loved them.  Thanks for the recipe.

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 28 August 2011 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

I love to can also. I haven’t had time this summer, so we will be buying frozen vegetables this year. I normally go to the farmers market and a buy a bushel of this and that and can it, and that’s what we eat until next summer. Last year we have speckled butter beans, lady peas, purple hull peas, lima beans, crowder peas, squash with tomatoes and onions, and lots of tomatoes. I freeze the creamed corn. We will miss my home made this winter.

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Charcuterie ››