Black Pudding
Posted: 27 February 2013 10:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2009-12-17

I want to make black pudding but I’m having difficulty getting pig’s blood. Here in Canada it’s illegal to sell it and I have been informed abbatoirs are not even allowed to give you the blood from your own pig. Pathogens, etc. Fair enough. However, I cannot find a source for dried pig’s blood either ... the cost of importing it from the UK is enormous, even if CAnada Customs let’s it in. Does anyone know of a supplier in Canada or the US?

Posted: 08 May 2013 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2009-12-17

Follow up in case anyone else is reading smile I found a source for pig’s blood (fresh) which I can buy by the litre at a local family butcher here in Victoria, British Columbia. I made two batches of black pudding - one in skins and one in a loaf pan. The latter was far superior and that’s the format for me next time. Some of the skins burst and the sausage stayed a bit softer than I like it, but the one I did in the loaf pan had great texture, flavour and looked good too!

Posted: 07 September 2013 11:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Sounds like you packed it too much or the recipe needs adjustment, enough Oats ? Used to eat the stuff in the 80’s.
Good you have a supplier now.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Sauerkraut