cooler cheese cave
Posted: 15 January 2014 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-01-15

Greetings to all,I am so glad to find this site. My first question has no doubt been covered,but be gentle,I am new. How is a wine cooler for a cheese cave? I have a Haier 6 bottle.

Posted: 16 January 2014 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Welcome to the forum, Jason.  There are a lot of people who use wine coolers quite successfully.  I’ve never used one myself, so I can’t say how optimal it would be; but if that is what you have it should do quite well.  So, some history - what have you attempted so far; and what are you looking to make in the future?  Have you already acquired/made the necessary equipment for hard cheese?

So, keep us posted.  And happy cheese making (and eating!).

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 16 January 2014 04:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15

I am quite sorry for not getting a reply sooner. I work as a snow plow operator for my town,and the phone rang early so its been a long day. I have cheese press and 2 rings, along with meso and thermo in the freezer. I have a farm 2 minutes away with whole milk that is what I am going to use. I love sharp cheese and am aware that takes months to age. I have hopes to make a blue cheese when I get more experience.

Posted: 17 January 2014 04:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Sounds like you’re pretty well set up.  I’d suggest you start with something like a Caerphilly.  You won’t have to wait months to start enjoying it; and it will give you something to munch on while your cheddar types are maturing.  I’d also suggest you do at least 4 gallons at a time so you have a sizeable wheel.  You’ll likely need a 6” mold for this.

I guess you won’t be able to make cheese while being snowed in - sorry about that!  In that case, you’ll be a fair weather cheese maker.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 17 January 2014 08:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Check on the Wine fridge temperature range and that it is in range of the cheese you want to make, they do vary.

Welcome!

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 19 January 2014 05:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15

Thanks cheese hole. The one I have is a brand name with a range of 46-66 degrees,depending on ambient temp. I was thinking that it would cover my newbie tries. Live and learn I suppose. Maybe a DVD would help. I will have to look into that.