when to cheese
Posted: 14 April 2014 05:36 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  19
Joined  2014-01-15

Hello to all. It sure has been a long winter here in the N East. So sorry that I have been absent. Can you believe that it was 80 degrees over the weekend and expecting 30 and snow! When should I consider a decent time to start my first cheese? I know that is a loaded question,but I want to have enough time before next winter.

Posted: 18 April 2014 06:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hey Jason,

IMHO anytime is the time to make cheese!  There obviously are environmental issues to consider, but these can be overcome.  Most people don’t like to make cheese in the hottest part of the year.  But if your house temp is controlled - i.e., air conditioned - you don’t need to worry about that.  You certainly need to have a suitable environment for aging - but that would be true at any time.  I hope you have access to raw milk, because that will make the very best cheese (also IMHO).  If it’s your very first cheese, as you say; I’d suggest one that has a short aging time so that you can test your work quickly and make any necessary adjustments.  Besides, while patience is a virtue, it’s incredibly hard to sit and wait for that first cheese. 

So, go for it!

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 18 April 2014 04:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15

Thank you for the reply. What “starter cheese” do you suggest that I tackle? I would like to try to make a couple this summer/fall given the time I have. thanks for the tutelage, Jason

Posted: 19 April 2014 04:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

The cheddars take a while to get a mature flavor, so you may want to leave that for another attempt.  I started with Manchego, which is ready in about 3 weeks.  Another good one is Caerphilly.  Also about 3 weeks.  These are brine soaked cheeses, but don’t be overwhelmed by this - it’s a simple process.  Of the two I prefer the Caerphilly, but I reduce the salt for my personal taste.  Whatever you decide, we’ll be glad to help you along.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 19 April 2014 04:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15

What does Monchego taste like? Caephilly?

Posted: 20 April 2014 04:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I’ve never been very good at describing flavors.  But these are very mild flavored cheeses.  Obviously, since the flavor and sharpness develop over length of aging time.  IME the Caerphilly has a moister texture; but this may be a result of my own technique.  I’ve not tasted either as a commercially made product.  You can find both in the recipe section of this forum.

Have you acquired or made a press yet?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 20 April 2014 04:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15

Yes I have a press with S/S molds,and a Haier wine cooler that I would use. I have no cellar in my house,why for the coolerI hope will work. I will do the quickest cheese first and make sure this situation will work. If not , I may have to get a used refridge and try to find a place for it. I will take your advise and try the caerphilly.

Posted: 22 April 2014 04:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I think you’ll be quite satisfied with the Caerphilly.  And the wine cooler should work well.  Several people use them.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 22 April 2014 04:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2014-01-15

Thank you so much Rich,I will keep you posted of my progress. ( hopefully not failer)

‹‹ cheese curd      How are you guys? ››