pH meter
Posted: 02 January 2015 02:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

My first pH meter was a Hanna, and it only lasted about a year.  I replaced it with an Omega, and it didn’t last much longer.  They both had the same problem.  The digital readout would not equilibrate - it bounced all over the spectrum.  I was reluctant to buy a third meter, or replacement probes, so out of desperation I just let them soak in water for several days.  Both meters had a rubber cap to cover the probe while not in use, and I always put water in the cap prior to closing.  I reasoned that perhaps the probe was just not staying wet enough.  Well, after several days, the Omega started to work normally again.  And after a week the Hanna also started working.  This after it had been on the shelf unused for over 2 years.  So, if your meter starts doing a jig, be patient and give it some hydro therapy. 

Also, from now on, I intend to cap the meter while it is under water to hopefully keep more hydration against the probe’s surface.  Maybe that will help.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 07 January 2015 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Did you get the same unit as I did?
If you did not keep the tip moist then it will dry out and not take proper readings, I use the ph neutral liquid to soak it. Also the probes have a shelf life I think 2 years, does not stop me using it though, thats why the ph liquids are usefull to calibrate.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 07 January 2015 09:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Since I don’t know what unit you got, I can’t answer your question.  The first meter I got was a “Hanna Checker.”  The second, the Omega, looked exactly like the Hanna unit.  That first meter, the Hanna, is now over 3 years old and still works quite well.  Likely that 2 year figure is an average expected life.  I don’t use mine a whole lot, so maybe that is helping to extend its useful life.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 07 January 2015 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

I had it posted her wink
PHH-7X

http://www.rickandlynne.com/rick/go/forums/viewthread/407/
http://www.rickandlynne.com/rick/go/forums/viewthread/949/

Signature