My cheese cave
Posted: 10 February 2015 04:49 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

This is my cheese cave. I have 11 2lb cheeses in the door, and 14 cheeses on the shelves.

Image Attachments
IMG_0389.JPGIMG_0388.JPG
 Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 10 February 2015 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Now that looks really nice.  I’m guessing those are from your class?  I see you like to wax.  I’m more of a vac. seal kind of guy.

That’s a nice large fridge.  I’ve only got a dozen or so in mine and I’m almost maxxed out.  I don’t want to stack them, though I may have to do so soon.  As long as the harder ones, the cheddars, are on the bottom it shouldn’t hurt too much.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 11 February 2015 09:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Awesome! great job smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 13 February 2015 06:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

A lot of stuff I vacuum seal I have to throw away. I can vacuum seal Swiss and Gruyere but everything else tastes like dirt when I open it. So I wax it. I’ve never had a waxed cheese taste like dirt. I like to natural age the Swiss and Gruyere for at least 5 months, and then I can vacuum seal them. I wax gouda, cheddar, and monterey jack. So guess I wax mesophilic cheeses. I’m sure the natural aging is the point. They aren’t very moist when I vacuum seal them, but the other ones are too moist. They get water in the bag, and turn pink from too much moisture.

Out of the 25 cheeses in my cave, 3 of them are mine.

I am making cheese tomorrow, at home, by myself, all for me. I am making Gruyere. I had a started a cheese club before my husband bought his store and I started teaching classes.

Our name is Whey Down South. Last January we met at Olivia’s house and made Gruyere. We met at my house a few weeks ago and Olivia brought a piece of her year old Gruyere and it was OMG wonderful. I ate mine at 5 months old and thought it was great. At a year, it is unbelievably good. So I am making a 4 lb one tomorrow to age until December when we have our Brew Club Christmas party. I am planning my cheese plate for the party. I am going to make a Gruyere, a Swiss, and a cheddar, as soon as I can get them in the cave, to take to the party.

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 13 February 2015 07:01 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Nice name “Whey Down South” Sounds like your having a fantastic time.
I love waxing smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 February 2015 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Your experience with sealed cheeses tasting like dirt is quite different from my experience.  I was really unhappy with waxing - developing cracks, mold development under the wax, and the mess of the wax itself.  So I tried sealing about 3 years ago.  Over all it has been great.  I’ve had two produce gas and swell up, but these were due to “infestations” that had nothing to do with the sealing.  The rest have been terrific. 

Already planning for next Christmas?  Wow.  I’ll bet you even get your shopping done in a timely fashion instead of like us last minute folks.  Kudos.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 22 February 2015 06:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

The shopping thing I don’t do well, but if it has something to do with food, I’m all over it.

Signature 

Tammy

‹‹ Milk protein types      Ricotta trial ››