Switching cultures
Posted: 27 February 2015 02:01 PM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I’m making Montasio today, which requires a blend of Meso and Thermophilic cultures.  It got me to wondering about cultures.  Meso is used for the gamut of hard cheeses - except for Italian cheese.  These use mostly thermo cultures.  The tastes are quite different.  So I’m wondering about what would happen if I made a cheddar type cheese, but used Thermophilic culture.  Anybody have experience with this?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 27 February 2015 04:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

I know that you can buy specific culture that has both meso and thermo in it. It says that the meso works during the making of the cheese and that the thermo kicks in during the aging period to help out then. It’s MA 4001. Ricki Carroll sells it as MA 4002 and this is what it says on her site.

“This is what is commonly referred to as the ‘Farmstead culture.’ It is predominantly a blend of standard mesophilic lactic acid cultures similar to MA 011 to develop the primary acidity. It also contains a S.thermophilis which will serve as a ripening culture a bit later in the process. The Mesophilic cultures will produce the acidity during the first part of the process.Then, after the cheese is salted and in the cave, the Thermophilic cultures begin to work in a ripening capacity to break down the complex proteins into simpler components.

This is a great choice for any of the cheeses made with MA011 but the added thermophilis will aid in the ripening process.”

I don’t know what the ratio of meso and thermo is in the culture so I don’t know how to do that myself. What kind of a ratio does your Montasio recipe have?

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 27 February 2015 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Ive used 4001 but too long to recall waht happened, however I have found no matter how I switched things around it tasted Great. Thats how I got my BlueBrie to be my fav cheese I make. Nice furry outside with a silky smooth Blue flavour and a semi hard cheese that does not run away after 90 days.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 27 February 2015 05:58 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

The Montasio recipe I used (from Ricki Carroll’s book) calls for 3:1 meso to thermo.  Since I use raw milk, I reduced the amount and went with 1:1.

The question I had, though, was what about substituting 100% thermo in a recipe that calls for meso?  Might have to adjust cook temps up a bit.  Also, I noticed that there wasn’t much drop in pH as it ripened.  I started at 6.95 and ended up after the cook at 6.6.  Since I didn’t have any pH marks for this cheese, I just used the times given in the recipe and recorded the pH for future reference.

I’m kind of starting over on this cheese.  I hadn’t made one for over 5 years; but I do remember that it was really good.

And here’s yet another question:  Is a different result achieved by brining rather than adding salt to the curd prior to press?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 01 March 2015 09:33 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I wouldnt rely on times in a book, a good way to mess up your cheese. Altitude can have a huge differance on the outcome.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 02 March 2015 04:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Without pH marks, I had nothing else to go by.  I agree it’s not the best, but it’s a starting point.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 04 March 2015 06:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

I say yes that brining produces a different cheese than dry salting. And if you change to thermo, and then change the temperatures, you are make a different cheese than the recipe started out with, so it’s just inventing something new. Thermo works in the aging period, not so much during the cook like meso. I saw one time that someone was going on a tour of Beecher’s and the girl giving the tour said that their Flagship cheese is a mixture of a Gruyere and a cheddar. I don’t know what parts they mixed but making a thermo cheese and then cheddaring it might be a mixture between the two. I love Beecher’s Flagship cheese. I wish I could make that.

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 17 April 2015 07:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I cracked open the Montasio this morning.  I just had to give it a try, since I was planning on making another today.

This is a great cheese!  The texture is closed, almost no mechanical holes, quite firm, but moist.  The taste reminded me of a very, very mild Swiss.  I was just going to sample it, but I found that I just kept munching on it - it’s really, really good!

Image Attachments
DSCN0826_527.JPG
 Signature 

Rich

Posted: 17 April 2015 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Congrats !!
Glad it turned out smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 May 2015 07:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2011-05-31

In some “Gouda type"cheeses here, like Old Amsterdam and the so called “Proosdij”, a blend of meso and thermo is used. The addition of thermo is giving a Gouda a more mature taste, e.g. Old Amsterdam tastes like a year old but is hardly 9 month old.
Because baby Gouda do have a tendancy to become too dry when you are aging them for a long time, I like to add about a quarter to a third thermo.

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 25 May 2015 08:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I like mixing cultures, gives interesting results smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 August 2015 06:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

I have never had a Montasio cheese before, but now I want to try it. I’ve never blended the cultures before either so it should be a fun and delicious learning curve.

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 09 August 2015 08:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

It is smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole