Home made cheeses.
Posted: 07 September 2015 09:42 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  10
Joined  2015-07-07

Hello to all!

This site looks great!

We took up making our own hard-to-find cheeses a few years ago, here in Australia, for home uses.

If you don’t mind, I’ll publish photos of our cheeses as we go. We make them with milk from the supermarket as we are city dwellers. Yet we get delicious results.

I’ll post photos as soon as I figure out how to post a photo, whether I can post it directly here, or if I have to use a picture hosting website. It varies from forum to forum.

Oh yes, I see how to do it… Now I only have to figure out how to reduce the size of the picture… tongue wink

Best regards to all of you in the meantime.

Mich’

Posted: 08 September 2015 04:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hello Mich,

Glad to have you along.  What kind of cheeses have you been making?  It’s a shame you can’t find raw milk; I think you’d really be impressed with the difference in curd quality.  And yes, we’d love to see your pics.  You’re going to need to use a program like Gimp (it’s free) to resize your pics.  The newest version of it has become quite complicated, but once you figure it out it will do anything you want.

You’re going to be coming into your Summer soon; is that going to affect your cheesemaking?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 08 September 2015 02:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

Hello Rich,

We have no choice. Yet it works really well. Supermarket milk only, but organic and pasteurised only. It is only with the organic goat milk that we find no milk other than pasteurised and homogenised. In this case, we use calcium chloride.

I’ll check that program Gimp, see what I can do. I’ll also try with Imageshack. It looks like the attachment size can’t be more than 300 KB or 640 x 640 pixels.

We have been making mostly soft cheeses (Camembert, goat, smelly washed rinds, and also pressed cheeses (Gouda, Saint-Paulin, cantal0, and blue cheeses, which is a bit more difficult (for the “coating” stage. No parmesan wheel, it takes too long to mature and it is not worth it for a small household.

No, the season change does not affect the cheese making so far.

Posted: 08 September 2015 08:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

I try again with the skew stretch feature in Paint…

Image Attachments
resizing.JPG

Posted: 08 September 2015 08:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

Now with more light (Sorry to peste you, I have to experiment…).

Image Attachments
resizing.JPG

Posted: 09 September 2015 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I do believe you got it.  That second one, with more light, is right where you want it.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 09 September 2015 02:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

Hi Rich,

I went, in Paint, to Image, then stretch/skew, and I went down to 25% instead of the original 100%.

I’ll try also via image shack, because you can select a thumb nail photo for forums. grin

Posted: 08 October 2015 03:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Welcome Mich!

As Rich mentioned GIMP is a great free program. Those pics are a bit small and you could resize them to 640 no problem, just play with the compression to make sure you don’t go over 300k
smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 October 2015 12:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

Yes Neil, I’ll do that.
I confess I am a bit clumsy with a few things such as resizing photos and the likes. For sure, kids beat me past the post fast and easy.
So you started making cheeses like us in 2007. Ha ha, funny!
LOve to all the team!:-)

Posted: 09 October 2015 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Thanks for the shout-out, Mich.  I’m on hiatus at the moment.  My dairy-er (not derierre) is currently without milk, since her cow is calving.  Hope to get back up and running in short order.  My weeks are kind of empty now without making cheese twice a week.  But there’s winterizing to do now.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 09 October 2015 10:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Yup, its been a while since I made anything unfortunately, hard to get back into it :(

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 October 2015 02:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

Hi Neil and GC Maker,

Too bad, must be frustrating to wait for the supply to come again. You are too far from Australia, so you can’t just pop up to taste what I have in my cooler. Teleportation now! Computer, beam me up! ha ha ha!

By the way, I have an email friend, a French guy, in Argentina, who is making beautiful cheeses from scratch, by this I mean that -for sone reasons, over there, it’s difficult to import ferments…-that he creates ferments from cheeses he has bought and he re-cultures that in his milk batch. This is amazing.
He was doing mostly Tome cheeses, but now he learned how to do Camembert and St Maure also.

Posted: 09 October 2015 02:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Importing has become a pain. I started of my using cheese from the store to start the culture smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 October 2015 02:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Yes, the waiting is starting to wear on me.  I have 12 cheeses to make for people, and I’m running out of time.  They want them for Christmas presents, and I may not have enough aging time.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 09 October 2015 03:28 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-07-07

Starting from scratch, wow! I am impressed!

If you are frustrated waiting for the next milk supply, you need therapy!
I suggest a secondary culinary passion. As for myself, I am into cold smoking, right now. We are having a terrific fun! Check on the web for my Aussie Smoke Bloke… Cute, is it? raspberry

Posted: 09 October 2015 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Sweet!  So, you’re smokin’ some Roo meat???

I’ll stick to gardening and greenhousing.  Should keep me in fresh veggies all Winter.

Signature 

Rich

1 2 > 
1 of 2

‹‹ Montasio      Packing the mold ››