Waxing Mold ripened cheese because of low humidity??
Posted: 30 January 2016 02:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2015-12-12

My little cheese fridge has no way to raise humidity other than a rag hanging in to a bowl of water and this does not give a steady level of humidity. My Blue and Camembert have gotten too dry. Could I do a blue with the spaces inside the cheese and wax it and still get internal growth of the culture??? Would it just take longer?

Posted: 30 January 2016 05:10 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I don’t make mold ripened cheeses, so take this for what it’s worth.  First, I’m not sure what you mean by “the spaces inside the cheese.”  Are you thinking of injecting the mold internally rather than spreading on the surface?

It would seem to me that waxing would defeat the purpose of ripening with mold, to a large extent.  The mold needs fresh air to grow, and waxing would greatly reduce any fresh air exchange.  Would misting help?  Or perhaps individual tupperware type tubs?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 30 January 2016 09:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2015-12-12

Was using plastic bags, humidity was to high and keeping the bags off the cheese was problematic. The small size of the fridge is a problem, finding a plastic container that fits the cheese and has room to drain means taking out a rack. Probably need a new fridge or need to stick with cheese I can wax. I went ahead and removed the outer mold and waxed before it turned in to a grating cheese. The mold will stop but it will continue to age, perhaps it will turn out ok, will see. Thanks

Posted: 31 January 2016 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Ah, yes; the joy of innovation!

I use an 8” mold for my cheeses, and I have to cut them in half before I vacuum seal, in order for the cheese to fit the vac bag.  I’m wondering if you might get by with doing something like that, so that you could use smaller containers?

Signature 

Rich