PH Meter
Posted: 11 March 2018 11:15 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2017-12-31

I have diligently been looking at PH Meters and want something I can use to test cheeses with that will be high enough quality but not to pricey.
I have a Hanna hi98127 that I can’t get batteries for where I live in Panama. I will have my wife pick some up when she visits the U.S. in a month.
That still doesn’t solve the problem of checking the cheese itself. Was looking at the Omega phh222 and a Alpha phe2385 puncture tip electrode.
The electrode is fairly inexpensive at $ 106.00. It also uses a 9V battery. Has anyone had experience with Omega products?
I would love to here any comments you have about this product line

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 12 March 2018 05:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Can’t comment on the specific models you’re considering; but I can give you a short summary of my experience.  After several years of making cheese, I thought I should be using a pH meter, so I bought a cheap one.  It worked well for a short while; but there wasn’t any appreciable difference in the quality of the cheese I made.  When it quit on me - after less than a year - I got another fairly low end model (the first was Hanna, the second was etekcity).  After just a short while, the second meter became erratic, and I couldn’t depend on its accuracy.  That was a couple years ago, and I haven’t used a meter since then.  What I have found is that the feel of the curd is as good an indicator as the meter ever was.  I never use a spoon to stir my curd, I always use my bare hands - well cleaned of course.  My cook times vary widely - anywhere from 50 minutes to almost 2 hours.  But the quality of the finished wheels has been great every time.  I’m not knocking meters.  If that is what you’re comfortable with then by all means keep at it.  But, for me, I’ll stick with the “hands on” approach.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 12 March 2018 07:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2017-12-31

Thanks Rich,

I guess years ago that is how they tested the cheese. Maybe would make one a better cheesemaker in knowing how to tell by feeling the texture of the cheese,
This gives me something to think about before venturing into the whole PH Meter thing.
Thanks Rich.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-