Bel Paese
Posted: 25 May 2018 06:33 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2017-12-31

Today I am going to try my hand at making Bel Paese. Two cheeses each with four gallons of fresh milk delivered 10 minutes ago. Still warm from the farm next door. Also I’m making two gallons of yogurt.
Going to be a busy day sense this is a pasteurized milk cheese. This will be cheeses number eight and nine

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 25 May 2018 12:37 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

Well I don’t know why, but when I was pasteurizing the 10 gal of milk for the cheese it formed a mass in the bottom of the pots. It almost looks like a stretched curd but not as firm.
This is a fail. I wonder what the yogurt is doing. To early to sneak a peak.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 28 May 2018 09:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Is there some reason that you absolutely must pasteurize your milk for this one?  Maybe a very short age?  I have done several cheeses that only required a month of aging; but I’ve used raw milk for the make.  As long as you trust your milk source, there should be no issues.  I know this goes against basic rules, but it’s pretty rare to have a bacteria issue - again, if you trust your milk source.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 28 May 2018 09:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

I was informed by the dairy farmer that I get my milk from that there is an epidemic of Burcella at many of the dairy farms here. Her milk has tested neg. but her farm also connects to two other dairy farms only separated by barb wire fence. The milk I get is tested by the Government every week.
As you know, it only takes a little dinero to convince the Gov. not to report it. That’s why I am now pasteurizing and using NaNO3. Kind of scary.
I have here’d that the milk processing plants were not taking + milk and a lot of it was being sold to individuals and at the auction.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 28 May 2018 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

that is kind of scary.  It’s a good thing you are taking precautions.  Kind of a hassle having to pasteurize, but better than contracting some dread disease.  Sounds like there is an opportunity for a Pasteurization service.

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ Brine time for Gruyere      Bel Paese remake ››