Tomme
Posted: 29 June 2018 11:43 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2017-12-31

Last week I did a five gallon Tomme make. I used Mycodore for a natural rind cheese. This is aging with my Caerphilly ( both made with Mycodore ).

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 01 July 2018 04:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I’m amazed at the variety of cheeses you make.  I am a “rut”” person.  I have a few cheese that I really like, and I tend to stay with them.  Not very adventurous, I’ll admit.  And I have never been able to bring myself to eating mold. 

I’m having a problem with milk at the moment.  For the last couple weeks my dairy lady has had a problem, and we’re going to have to get it nailed down.  Either she’s slipping me some old milk, or there is a sanitation issue; but every once in a while I get a gallon that is chunky.  I’ve had to give a couple batches to the chickens - who don’t complain, by the way.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 01 July 2018 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

I was the same way when I lived in the U.S.. Growing up in Indiana the only cheese I ate was Motz. on pizza, Colby and American ( suppose to be ) Cheese. A couple of years ago when I went back to the States for my once a year visit I tried some Manchego and loved it. So I started checking out cheeses made with PC and hmmm, not to bad. Last year I tried
some cheese with B Linens that was from Murrys. I also liked that, but didn’t eat the rind. I about drove my brother out of his own house with the smell. I won’t eat cheese from the store any more due to the fact none of the cheese you can get in my area are very good. I would like to make some Cams when I have a chance. Right now I buy them from a German that lives up by the volcano. He also has some really good Hard Goat cheese he makes.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 01 July 2018 07:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Sounds like you have access to a cornucopia of cheese down there.  I’m jealous of the tropical environment.  I used to live in Micronesia, and I really miss it - especially in Winter.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 04 July 2018 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

Ya, we don’t have a great diversity of cheeses and the ones we have are not of great quality. As you know Artisan cheeses are of much better quality.
An American in the mountains has been looking for quality Gruyere. With only one store selling it and she said it’s not good.
The Greman uo there only sels the two cheeses that I have mentioned.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 04 July 2018 01:53 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

sounds to me like supply and demand are on your side.  You could go into business!

Looks like I’m out of business for a few months.  My dairy lady told me her cow is being dried up due to an infection problem.  It won’t be until late in September before her other cow freshens.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 05 July 2018 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

Wow! Thats ppto bad. Every day I think about what cheese to make next and without milk! I am in the same predicament only tomorrow will be my last make for a while. I will be going state side in Sept. and my wife can’t stand the smell of my diversity of cheeses in the cave so I am going to try Vacuum packing in quarters so she don’t have to mess
with them.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 05 July 2018 11:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I highly recommend vacuum sealing.  That’s the only way I work now.  I used to do wax, yuck!  A mess to apply. Cracks in the wax.  Mold under the wax. Besides, in order to get it to adhere properly, the surface of the cheese has to be absolutely dry.  With vacuum sealing, I don’t have to be so picky, and the cheese is more moist as a result.

How long you gonna be in the States?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 06 July 2018 09:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

I usually go for 2-3 weeks in Sept. to see family and go to the doctor so I can get my meds. If it wasn’t for that I would not go back just let my wife go two times. I am completely content with living here in the countryside here.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 06 July 2018 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Yeah, I can identify with that.  I live in the country - 25 miles from a town of 5,300; and I really don’t care much to go into town at all.  Oh, yeah, there’s another town that’s closer - 9 miles away, population 392!

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ Fourme d’ Ambert      English Chedder ››