Beer Bread
Posted: 28 May 2011 04:31 PM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

We belong to a home brew club, we make beer. Several of the members are using their yeast out of the bottom of the 1st fermentation to make bread with. When they drain the beer off, they save the sludge out of the bottom of the barrel. They keep it in the refrigerator and use a 1/4 cup of it for yeast in their home made bread. I want to try that, but my husband keeps throwing out the sludge.

This is a recipe off our beer club forum

“My general recipe is 4 cups flour, 1 to 1 1/2 cups water, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp sugar and about 1/4 cup yeast. I usually only measure the flour and salt.”

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 17 November 2011 12:36 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-17

I never thought about making bread using the yeast in my homebrew.

I made a batch of beer bread last night.  This is the stuff where you add a bottle of beer.  Here’s my recipe.

3 cups flour
1/4 cup sugar
3 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
12 oz. beer
1/4 cup melted butter

Sift the dry ingredients.  Pour in beer and mix.  Pour into a loaf pan.  Pour on the butter.  Bake 375F for about 50 minutes.

Good stuff, but because it isn’t yeast bread, it is usually a bit more dense.

Signature 

F_M
Check out my blog at The Homestead Fritz

Posted: 26 December 2011 07:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

I looked at the sludge in the bottom of the carboy and decided I didn’t want to use it for anything. I made a beer bread yesterday in the bread machine with yeast and Abita Amber. My daughter gave me a cookbook for Christmas from Abita that uses Abita beer in everything, and I had some in the refrigerator so I made some bread. It was really good. Had a nice flavor to it.

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

‹‹ bread my own made      Ciabatta Bread ››