Minimalistic recipe for Gouda
Posted: 13 June 2011 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2011-05-31

I found this one in a flyer from a supplier for cheese making equipment, dating from 1987. I attached some pictures from the flyer itself.
I didn’t use this recipe yet, but in a discussion about Gouda recipes I mentioned that the farmers here in the Netherlands use fairly easy methods and recipes to make their Gouda cheeses. And be sure that I don’t judge about what it better, I have to taste the difference first wink

Warm the milk to a temperature of 83-86F
Add 1% starting culture or 2% fresh buttermilk and per 1 gallon of milk 1 ml of liquid rennet.
Put the milk away for about half an hour in a warm place.
Cut the curd into pieces the size pea, this must be done in about 10 minutes (hurray, a unit I don’t have to convert grin )
Let the curd rest for 5 minutes.
Drain about a third of the whey.
Warm the curd to a temperature of 97F by adding warm water of about 167F (for big cheeses this is done in to parts: first up to 91.5F), stir constantly for 10 minutes.
Let the curd rest for half an hour.
Drain all the whey and put the curd into the molds, manually pressing it firmly into the mold.
Put the follower on the mold, turn the mold upside down and let it drain for 10 minutes.
Press the cheese for 1 hour with twice the weight of the cheese.
Press the cheese for 5 to 6 hours with 5 times the weight of the cheese.
During pressing, regularly turn the cheese by getting it out of the mold, turn it and put it back into the mold.
After pressing, let the cheese dry for 8 to 10 hours in the mold without net or cheese cloth.
After drying put the cheese in the brine, depending on the size for a half up to 3 days.
(Personally I think that’s too long. It’s an old recipe and also noticed that in old books the brine was much stronger, resuting in a much salter cheese)
After the brining the cheese has to dry for 24 hours, before it can be coated or waxed.
Let the cheese ripen for at least 4 weeks.

Well, I think I wil try this myself after our holiday because I’m really curious to see and taste the results.

Image Attachments
VantRiet1.jpgVantRiet2.jpg
 Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 13 June 2011 06:35 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

There are a lot of different sized peas in the world….........

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 14 June 2011 04:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2011-05-31

LOL, OK, I didn’t see that one coming cheese
Let’s say a third of an inch?
I don’t succeed in getting it all the same size anyway!

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 11 November 2015 12:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  11
Joined  2015-11-06

Mine is similar to this only I use kefir as a starter and let it ripen for an hour then add the rennet then I salt the cheese rather than brining, then I let that dry and vac. seal it and in the cave it goes.  I let mine age for a little over a month and it was sooooo good!  So then I had to make horseradish Gouda, have that in the cave, this winter I will smoke it with apple wood, yummmmy!

Looking for new recipes to try with my frozen milk, any suggestions?