Humidity levels
Posted: 07 July 2012 08:38 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

My husband put the gauge out of the cigar humidor in my cheese cave to check the humidity level. It is 65%. I know that if I put a bowl of water in there it raises the humidity, but it raises it too high and every thing molds.

How do you control the amount of humidity in the cheese cave?

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 07 July 2012 11:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  248
Joined  2011-05-31

mmm, or I’m being lucky or my hydrometer is not correct, but it seems that I’m always around 90% RH. I think I have to check my hydrometer, but on the other hand, normally I don’t have any problems with humidity. No molds on the sides of my cave and my coated cheeses stay clean, also maybe because I clean them once every week with a vinegar solution. I have no other cheeses at this moment because of the upcoming holiday when the cheeses are unattended for 2 weeks.

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 07 July 2012 05:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

lack of circulation will promote moulding.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 July 2012 03:52 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-31

That’s why I have a 5 inch computer fan in my cave. And I’m lucky to have a pretty big cave, so it’s not stacked up (I even got spare space for wine wink  ) which ensures good circulation of air. And once in a while I clean the cave with a vinegar solution…

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 08 July 2012 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Ah, an opportune moment to plug vacuum sealing.  If one seals one’s cheeses, the humidity level is inconsequential.  Herman, just how impermeable is your coating?  Would it prevent escape/entry of air?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 08 July 2012 02:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-05-31

Air I’m not sure about. But also a coated cheese will dry out if it is stored too long in an environment that is too dry.

Signature 

- Herman -

Posted: 14 July 2012 07:13 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

I bought a 5” fan and put it in my cave today. The hydrometer shows 10% increase in humidity in a couple of hours of running the fan. It was 60% and now it’s 70%. I did put water in the plastic tray in the bottom but I did that a week ago.

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy