< 1 2
2 of 2
Italian reed basket molds…
Posted: 23 May 2013 05:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

When I age bloomed cheese I make sure I open the container each day to refresh the air. Appears to work well and I have had no problems with ammonia smells. My washed rind cheese is just plonked on a shelf in the cheese fridge and washed down as it needs it.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 23 May 2013 12:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2009-05-26

I like that technical term, plonked! Good to hear, thank you.

Posted: 01 June 2013 04:19 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Getting VEEEEERY nervous!!!!!

A couple of days ago it began to develop a little bit of surface mold. I dabbed it with vinegar, then decided that wouldn’t be adequate with all the nooks and crannies of the basket design, so I decided to rub salt all over it. Why not? -after all, I reason, it has already been soaked in brine for a day. Two days later it has developed what appears to be three different molds growing on the surface.

Thinking out loud: WHAT is that orange stuff at 11 o’clock?! I’m used to surfaces of blues and brie styles, but not this. Is this just the beginning of normal-for-this-cheese, or should I stop and eat it before it gets REALLY weird…? smile

Ciao,
Bobbie

Image Attachments
Cenestrato_2_weeks_(640x361).jpg

Posted: 01 June 2013 09:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2013-05-03

Almost all washed rind cheese develops that orange mould. Don’t worry, it is perfectly edible. It can be controlled by judicious scraping and rubbing the cheese down with a clean cloth dampened with brine or brine-vinegar. As the cheese hardens you can rub a little more vigorously to smooth out the surface and polish it a little.
I would suggest your humidity may be too high in the container it is stored in. Blue mould needs high humidity to develop.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

Posted: 02 June 2013 08:09 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

yup orange is normal for “Washed” cheese , its the grey black you want to avoid.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 03 June 2013 12:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2009-05-26

Thanks guys! No more worrying- life is too short.

I should review my terms- I didn’t realize brined cheeses were in the washed rind family too- I think of beer, wine, etc but brine? ok- good reminder. Some of the spots are rather grey black, but I think I’ll be able to control it with vigilant rubbing as suggested. I’ve taken some water out of the box as well- since I don’t have a precise way to gauge the humidity it’s a bit of a guessing game.

It’s still the handsomest cheese I’ve made- so excited! Photos when it’s ready!
Cheers,
Bobbie

Posted: 03 June 2013 06:29 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2013-05-03

Most unwaxed and non bloomed cheese is given the occasional rub down to prevent it getting too festy. Even if it is not technically a washed-rind cheese. It is important not to soak the cheese each time it is washed- wring the cloth out well. Allow time for the cheese to dry a little before it is next washed, don’t automatically wash each day as some recipes suggest.

Signature 

— G. K. Chesterton

Posted: 04 June 2013 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

yup i find recipes just a guideline. it changes so much depending on the country, UK is far more humid then the Prairies in Canada and then again different in California. When I did my first washes cheese I watched it for borderline dry and gave it a wipe. Was all excited to see the orange start appearing smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

< 1 2
2 of 2