Help, When to use Calcium Chloride and Raw Milk?
Posted: 01 January 2015 08:59 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2015-01-01

Hello all,

I’m very happy to join a forum that I’ve already found to be most useful. I come from a long line of cheeseaholics but I’m an absolute beginner in the world of cheese making…although I’ve been longing to get into the craft for a few years. After 2 Father’s Days, 2 Birthdays and a Christmas of putting a cheese making kit on my wish list (to no avail), I finally bought my own Christmas present this year. Can you guess what it was?

I’ve read many of the threads here looking for answers to my questions, which I have yet to find, so since I’m anxious to make my first cheese I will pose my questions while I continue to read through the forum. For the last year (between gifting events) I’ve been reading up and watching videos on how to make different cheeses. In the book “Home Cheese Making” it says that when you use pasteurized milk you should add calcium chloride (not included in Xmas bundle) to produce a firmer curd. My first question is: Do I need to add calcium chloride to make Whole Milk Ricotta, my first cheese? When do I need or not need to use calcium chloride?

I’ve also been reading about different types of milk and learned that Raw Milk produces some of the best tasting cheeses but can present harmful bacteria such as Salmonella or Mycrobacterium which can be destroyed through pasturization. Does that danger apply to store bought raw milk? Why wouldn’t I buy pasturized milk to start with? I did however, read that the US gov’t requires raw milk cheeses to be aged at least 60 days to prevent pathenogenic bacteria. In my mind I’m thinking that I will reserve using raw milk (which runs $15 per gallon) for when I get to the stage of making long aged cheeses, my ultimate goal of which is making real aged cheddars.

I realize that a huge part of making cheese is trial and error but there is no room for error this time out, we already bought the lasagna pasta! shock

Posted: 02 January 2015 02:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Well hello there and welcome to the forum.  As you probably have noticed, we have had a long dry spell here.  I am just now returning after an 18 month hiatus in cheese making.  I was tunnel visioned on mushroom growing for a while; but it’s good to be back at it.

Now, as to CaCl, you never have to add it if you don’t want to.  It is said that it improves the milk protein that is damaged during pasteurization, but I think the difference is minimal.  Obviously raw milk would be best, but at $15/gal I would be hard pressed to make any cheese.  I’m basically a cheapskate - just ask my wife.  I have been fortunate enough to have a farm source for raw milk at $3.  I have frequently cracked cheeses open prior to 60 days - I recognize there is a risk, but if you are confident in the source milk, the danger is not a problem - to me anyway.  People made cheese for centuries before pasteurization was invented.

If you do decide to go with CaCl, it should be added as soon as your milk is brought to temp.  That way whatever benefit it provides will be available to the culture as the milk ripens.

So, now you’re ready to take the plunge.  Keep records and follow your recipe closely.  Remember, very, very few cheeses as so bad they must be tossed.  Don’t worry, be happy!

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 07 January 2015 08:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Dito as to what Rich said.
In regards to contamination, Bloomed cheeses will metabolize contaminats (as long its not something nasty afte 90 days. So unless you dont like bloomed cheeses, they are easy to do since they are not PH sensative. Bloomed cheeses can also be frozen without damage, and thats helpfull since if they over ripe then they will run away smile

Good Luck.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 January 2015 08:57 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-01-01

Thanks Rich and Cheese Hole!

I finally made my first cheese, ricotta from whole milk. I think I did ok, I got a little over a pound from 1 gallon of milk. I felt like I could have got more because the whey still looked pretty white, not the clear yellow that everyone talks about. I guess they say around 1 lb. is to be expected. It tastes bland and boring but my wife is going to cook something italian with it so it will do fine.

I still have another gallon in the fridge reserved for cheese and I was going to try another ricotta, only this time try adding more flavor to serve with crackers. I would however, be open to any suggestions. I’d like to try a soft spreadable cheese with good flavor. Remember this will only be my second go of it.

Posted: 09 January 2015 05:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

So now Tim is an “experienced” cheese maker!  Well done!

IMO ricotta is normally rather bland.  Did you salt it?  That may help.

As to a recommendation, I have no personal favs to suggest.  I just make hard cheese.  I was looking through the recipe section of this forum and found one that sounds interesting.  It’s called Swiss Cream Cheese.  Give it a look; it may pique your interest as well.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 09 January 2015 10:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2015-01-01

Thanks Rich and yes I am! cheese

I did salt it but just followed the recipe adding very little when I added the citric acid. Next time I will try salting after I scoop the curds into the muslin to help pull out some of the moisture.

I’m not much for the softer cheeses either but I’m learning to walk before I run, I could live on cheddar! It’s going to take me a few weeks to build my press and setup my cave anyway. I’m hoping that my mini fridge will work, I’ll be getting it out of storage this weekend to measure temp.

I will check out the Swiss Cream Cheese recipe and let you know.

Posted: 09 January 2015 12:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

If your wife hasn’t already cooked up the ricotta (I can almost taste the lasagna!) it’s not too late to add a bit more salt.  Just a little bit at a time and mix it well.  Let it set for a while so the salt can permeate and then taste test it.

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ Finally back      pH meter ››