Flocculation
Posted: 30 January 2015 02:25 PM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

So after 6 years, I’m finally getting around to learning the flocculation method.  To those of you who may not know about this, it’s a method of determining with some precision when your curd gel is set and ready to cut.  It involves determining the flocculation point, a time from the addition of rennet to the point at which curd starts to set.  It’s done by placing a clear plastic bowl on top of the milk and spinning it.  When it gets to the point that there is enough resistance to prohibit the bowl from freely spinning - that is the flocculation point.  The number of minutes from addition of rennet to this flocculation point is multiplied by a numerical factor - varies depending on the type of cheese you’re making - and this will tell you when the curd is “perfect” for cutting.

At the same time as I was doing this, I also was using reduced culture and rennet for moisture purposes, so I was unsure how long my milk should set.  Anyway, I came up with 14 minutes to the flocculation point, and I used a factor of 3 for my Colby.  This yielded 42 minutes to the cut point.  At 42 minutes I stuck my finger in to check the curd set, and voila - it was indeed perfect.  I was pleasantly pleased, needless to say.

I’m not sure exactly what difference this will make in my cheesemaking, but it should give some confidence.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 01 February 2015 09:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

lol, sounds interesting smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole