Any cheese makers out there?
Posted: 24 April 2015 11:28 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hey guys, it’s been too slow on the forum of late.  Wonderin’ if any of you are making cheese?  As for me, every Friday is cheese making day.  I’m doing a cheddar today.  I’ve got a couple in the cave, but I want to be sure I have enough on hand that I can let some of it age into an extra sharp.

I’ve been sharing cheese here and there, and I’m beginning to have people offer to buy cheese.  This works for me, because I enjoy making more cheese than I can eat.  So far, the favs are cheddar, Gouda and Montasio.

What’s up with you guys?  And girls - don’t want to alienate Tammy!

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 27 April 2015 01:24 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2008-03-21
Green Cheese Maker - 24 April 2015 11:28 AM

Hey guys, it’s been too slow on the forum of late.  Wonderin’ if any of you are making cheese?  As for me, every Friday is cheese making day.  I’m doing a cheddar today.  I’ve got a couple in the cave, but I want to be sure I have enough on hand that I can let some of it age into an extra sharp.

I’ve been sharing cheese here and there, and I’m beginning to have people offer to buy cheese.  This works for me, because I enjoy making more cheese than I can eat.  So far, the favs are cheddar, Gouda and Montasio.

What’s up with you guys?  And girls - don’t want to alienate Tammy!

I made a cheddar this past weekend.  A swiss weekend before, and a feta and a blue stilton the week before that.  I been busy.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 27 April 2015 01:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Hey 9mm, glad to hear you’re staying active.  Haven’t heard from you in a long while.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 29 April 2015 10:18 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Been too cold here, yesterday was the first time its in the 20’s C. Will be looking at making some soon.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 01 May 2015 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21
Green Cheese Maker - 27 April 2015 01:34 PM

Hey 9mm, glad to hear you’re staying active.  Haven’t heard from you in a long while.

Thanks Rick, vacuum packed my Cheddar this morning.  The Swiss is in the ripening container for another week, smells awesome now, then into the room temp house to allow the eye formation.  My blue has blued up nicely and I put the holes in it on Tuesday.  Getting the typical ammonia smell so have to open it up and air it out for a bit daily.  Love blue cheese.  Planning on my next make, but not sure what it will be yet.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 01 May 2015 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Ammonia is usually a sign of too warm, ripening too fast :(
Glad to hear you got lots on the go smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 01 May 2015 09:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-03-21
Neil - 01 May 2015 08:15 AM

Ammonia is usually a sign of too warm, ripening too fast :(
Glad to hear you got lots on the go smile

Not too warm, 51 F in the cheese fridge.  I’ll just air it out daily.  Same thing on my last make, and it was scrumptious.

Signature 

Kim   cool smile

Posted: 02 May 2015 05:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Sounds good, Kim.  Swiss has been my nemesis.  I can’t get it right.  I’m not crazy about the Swiss taste, so I’ll just stick with what works for me.  Did a Caerphilly yesterday, and Colby may be next.  Unless I get a bug to do something else.

I’ve been getting raw Jersey milk from a lady a few miles away.  Yesterday my next door neighbor (1/2 mile up the county road) said he needed to find takers for his Jersey milk.  I guess when it rains, sometimes it pours.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 02 May 2015 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

So lucky you got raw milk smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Happy Easter      Recipes with PH targets ››