Colby
Posted: 01 July 2016 12:08 PM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

This recipe is the result of trying many different times and temps.  It results in a moist, firm cheese with delicious flavor.

Bring 4 gallons raw milk to 88 F.
Add 1/8 tsp MA 11 mesophilic culture.  Float for 3 minutes, stir for 1 minute.  Allow to ripen for 50 minutes.
Add 1/2 tsp anatto, stir well
Add 1/2 tsp liquid animal rennet, stir well.
Use floculation factor 3 to determine set point.
At the set point, cut to 3/4”, allow to rest for 5 minutes.
Begin cook
At 102 F., stir for 1 hour.
Begin cold water exchange.  remove whey to curd level and replace with 60 F. water while stirring.  Repeat as necessary to obtain a temp of 73 F., with about 5 minutes between each exchange.
Once 73 F. is obtained, stir for 20 minutes.
Drain curd for about 10 minutes, or until whey only slowly drips from your sieve. 
Return curd to pot, add 3 Tbls non-iodized salt and stir well, breaking up curd as you go.
Place curd into cheesecloth lined mold (I use an 8”)
Press at 25 lbs for 25 - 30 minutes (.5 PSI) (These weights are for an 8” mold.  If your diameter is different you will need to adjust accordingly)
Remove from press, unwrap, invert, rewrap with clean cloth, and press at 50 lbs.(1.0 PSI) for 2 hours.
Remove from press, unwrap, invert and press at 100 lbs. (2.0 PSI) for 18 hours (I do not use cheese cloth on final press.  You can do as you normally do.)
Remove from press and dry until surface is dry to the touch.
Rub with dry salt, vacuum seal and age at 52 F. for a minimum of 2 months.  I find that 3 months is perfect for my taste.

NOTE:  To calculate your pressing weights, determine the surface area of your mold (3.14 X the radius squared), and then multiply it by the PSI factor.

Another NOTE:  In order to achieve a more solid texture, the curd must be VERY firmly pressed into the mold.  I used my fist the press it down, not being in a hurry at this stage.  The result is fewer, smaller mechanical holes.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 05 July 2016 11:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Thanks ! smile!

Signature 

The Cheese Hole