Has anyone ever found a recipe for Hirtenkase?
Posted: 05 March 2018 08:35 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  4
Joined  2018-03-04

This is probably one of those “secret recipe” cheeses, but I thought I’d give it a long shot try, to see if there’s any cheese “super sleuths” that have ever broke the code for this amazing cheese.

Dan

Posted: 06 March 2018 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hey Dan, welcome.

I hadn’t heard of this cheese, but it sounds intriguing.  I did some Googling, and couldn’t find a recipe either.  My daughter in law is a German national; so I emailed her to see if she would direct me to someone who might know more about it.  Maybe we’ll get lucky.

So what kind of cheese do you make?  How long have you been into cheese making?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 06 March 2018 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Sorry Dan.  I heard from my daughter in law and she hasn’t heard of this cheese.  But she’s from western Germany, near France, so that may be why.  Good luck.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 06 March 2018 01:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2018-03-04

Hey Rich,

Thanks for trying!

I’ve just started to make cheese and like any other food (in this case cheese) enthusiast, can get in over my head quickly. I love to go after the unusual stuff. Guaranteed, I’ll find this recipe and will be happy to share it on this forum.

Posted: 06 March 2018 02:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2018-03-04

I wanted to try my hand at cheese for two reasons. First one is that this is more than just food. It is a craft. a craft for those who are passionate, creative and willing to wait for (sometimes) months to see the fruit of their creation come into its fullest potential. Secondly, it really is a social food. one that finds it’s best flavor when shared with others. Froom low income to high income people, it’s appreciated in all classes but always with others. I love that and that’s what drew me to giving this a crack. I’m looking forward to gleening from the pro’s in this forum. Thanks again for letting me join! I’m really looking forward to this.

Dan

Posted: 06 March 2018 04:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Sounds like you are relatively new to cheese making.  No problem there - we all had to start at some point.  I know what you mean by getting in over your head.  Just yesterday I had over 150 lbs aging.  What’s shocking is that I frequently have no cheese for my wife and I, because it’s all been sold except for that which is too young to crack open.

My daughter in law has messaged her mother in Germany; and they will be asking around over there about the hirtenkase.  So hopefully we’ll be able to come up with something soon.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 06 March 2018 04:34 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

Found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hirtenkäse

No real recipe though.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 06 March 2018 06:32 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2018-03-04

I have a friend that lives in Germany as well. I’m going to see if he can find out as well. I’m happy to hear you’re doing so well selling your cheese. I love when people prosper from their passion.

Posted: 11 March 2018 07:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  40
Joined  2017-12-31

I bet this cheese is very similar to Alpkase. Try to cross reference the two.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 11 March 2018 08:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

And welcome to the forum, Mike.  Not much available on this one, but I suspect it will have a different culture.  Whereas Alpkase is a Swiss type, I’m thinking the Hirtenkase may not be. 

Are you a cheese maker?  And, if so, what are your “specialties?”

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 11 March 2018 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

Hi Rich,

I am slowly learning cheesemaking here in Panama. I was planning on continuing my baking in Panama but that come to a halt two years age with my diabetic problems.
I was making 300 fruit cakes, 150 banana breads and bread wreaths ( full pan size ) every X-MAS. Now making cheese for myself and Panamanians.
I have a knack for creating foods. I make a few goat milk cheeses and cams, havarti, colby, cheddar, queso blanco and queso fresco. I have the potential to sell cams, sharp chedder, gruyere,
Jalapeno jack and probably some b. linen and blues to the people in two towns close to me. The towns have a diverse population of Americans, Canadians, Greman Italian and French people.
Just need to get busy and get cheese made for as you know some have a long affinage, There is no cheeses here worth buying. Not even the mozzarella have the right texture, mouth feel or taste.

Mike

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 11 March 2018 09:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

That sounds great.  I’m thinking that, given your location, you have access to a lot of raw milk.  Makes a much better cheese.  There’s a Spanish cheese, Manchego, that I’d recommend you give a try.  It’s a blended culture, mild in flavor; and I’ll bet would be a great base for additives.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 11 March 2018 09:27 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2017-12-31

I may give manchego a try. I would have to make it with cows milk ( yes I can get raw milk, Ihave two dairy farms within 1/8 mile of me. ) with the addition of lipase ( mild ). I have access to goat milk but is very costly. Raw cow milk I get for 60 cents a liter.
I ate manchego all the time in the U.S. so I would be critical of the taste.

Signature 

—- MIKE—-

Posted: 11 March 2018 10:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I don’t have access to sheep’s milk either, so I use raw cow’s milk, without Lipase.  I also prefer a richer cheese, so I add additional cream.  I currently have people ordering it from me because they really like it.  I’m jealous of the price you pay for raw milk.  I have to give $3 a gallon.  But it’s Jersey milk and very rich.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 14 March 2018 04:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

The name means “herder’s cheese” they normally Cows, so I would guess its a simple Cheese however the Alpine area might be giving it a distinct flavour smile
http://www.cheesewiki.com/hirtenkase

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Cheese always crumbly      PH Meter ››