Help,please? Mozzarella problems,milk yield and volume vs.weight
Posted: 25 October 2018 09:18 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-11-01

I make cheese from raw milk from our goats.  I started making Mozzarella this year, using an “Instantella” recipe modified for goats, and seemed to be getting better over time. Until this fall when the milk yield went down and the cheese yield per quart went up. Recently I got 1.5 lbs of Mozz instead of the 1 lb I had been getting from 2 gallons of milk,and the Mozz was less stretchy and cohesive than usual.  I thought that might be because the ratio of citric acid to actual cheese was lower.  Then I made a 1.5-gal Mozz with the same amount of rennet(1t) and citric acid (2.5 t) I usually used for a 2-gal batch. The resulting cheese was basically good,highly stretchy and ‘plasticy,’ and not quite as inclined to hold its shape as some earlier Mozzes. I got just under 1 lb of that cheese. Today I made a 2-gal batch with 3 t of citric acid and 1.25 t of rennet. I got a super-stretchy ‘cheese product” that was slightly sticky and wouldn’t hold its shape—it stayed together but flowed out flat. I got 1.5 lb of ‘cheese product.”  I am guessing this is from too much citric acid. If so,I need to figure out how to gauge how much cheese I will get from my milk and how much acid to put in. Do any of you know what weight per gallon is assumed in most home cheesemaking recipes,and how much to adjust ingredients based on weight variation?

I realize there could be some other factor which I am overlooking. I am aware of two slight variations between this batch and the previous one: I added the citric acid when the milk was a little cooler (72 not mid-80s) and when I poured hot water over the recut curds at the end I used 175 F water instead of the 165ish water I used last time.  (The recipe says 170; I assumed there was some wiggle room.) I figure the earlier acid addition might have increased acidification.  I don’t know how much difference the water temp should have made.

Below I’m listing the recipe I followed (with today’s variations in parentheses.) If you have any thoughts about what might have gone wrong,I would greatly appreciate hearing that.

Cheese:
2 gallons milk
2 1/2 tsp. citric acid powder (used 3 today) dissolved in 1/4 c water
1/4 tsp lipase powder dissolved in 1/2 c water
1 t liquid rennet (used 1 1/4 t today)dissolved in 1/4 c water

Brine:1/3c canning salt dissolved in 10c water

Dissolve lipase for 1/2 hr (more like 45mins today)
Add citric acid and lipase solutions to milk as it starts heating (72 F today)
Heat milk to 88
Add rennet,stir 15 sec
Let sit 15 min (Today there was a clean break as usual; also,as often, the curd was a bit grainy; there were more tiny loose particles on top than usual)
Cut into 1/2”-5/8"curds
Rest 5 min
Heat to 108 over 15 min
Remove from heat, (I generally interpret this to mean,remove from double boiler), stir 20 min
Pour into colander, let sit 15 min
Cut into 1” strips,lay crosshatched in bowl
Pour 170 F brine over strips (was 175 today)
Pat cheese into ball, then pull out gently into long rope, return to water, reball and resqueeze; repeat for 10mins (I didn’t have to squeeze it into a rope-it flowed into one of its own accord if I held it up)
Remove, knead to remove excess whey (Skipped this as by then it wouldn’t hold shape)
Shape into ball, submerge in cold water til cool and solid

As I said, this usually works for me—but not today. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Posted: 27 October 2018 11:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

It depends on the fat content as to how much you get, Im guessing the milk density will change as the seasons change in the year.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 29 October 2018 08:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Like Neal said, the milk is never consistent.  It varies, not only with the seasons, but with the diet of the goats.  Fat and protein content fluctuate.  I have the same variation in raw cow’s milk.  It’s what makes home cheese making so interesting - every cheese may be slightly different, no matter how closely you follow your recipe.  So that all means that your weight to gallon ratio will fluctuate from batch to batch.

BTW, good to hear from you again Joanna.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 31 October 2018 08:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  37
Joined  2008-11-01

Thank you both.I do know that fat content, pH etc fluctuate over the course of the year—I am just trying to figure out if there’s a way to make my cheese come out as cheese consistently.

Tried Mozz again today using only2.5 t citric acid to 2 gal milk. Curd handled somewhat differently from the previous batch—cut curds held their shape longer, and after draining in cheesecloth the curds were less dense. I poured the hot water on (166 F this time,as usual not poured directly onto the curd but against the side of the bowl) and at first the cheese seemed to be handling well.  But after I had squeezed it into a rope,returned it to the hot water and reballed it a few times—I think 4—the texture changed dramatically; pores visibly opened in the cheese and it began to absorb water and stopped holding its shape and staying adhesive.  I can’t figure out what is happening.

Posted: 31 October 2018 11:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Sorry about that.  Wish I could give you some appropriate advise; but I’m not a Moz maker.  I tried a couple times, but it just wasn’t working for me.  Maybe there are some experienced folks lurking around who would be able to shed some light on this problem.

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ exploding cheese????      Frankencheese ››