Altering Batch Size
Posted: 14 February 2008 10:10 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

I have Ricki’s book, and am interested in a Gruyere of a bigger size than the 2-gallon amount. Most recipes that I have every read seem to start out with 2 gallons of milk as the starting point.
I’m thinking more like starting with 5 gallons to produce a bigger wheel that won’t dry out etc. Not having the book in front of me and going from memory, it’s like 1/4 t. of starter and 1/4 t. rennet in cool water for the 2 gallons. So can I figure like 1/2 t. + 1/8 t. of starter for 5 gallons?
As for rennet, the measurement usually given is for a batch of 2-5 gallons of milk. So instead of using the lower end amount of rennet for the higher size batch, should I go say, 1/2 t. rennet in cool water?
Therefore, could one safely say that in cheese making, measurements are proportional to the batch size for a good outcome?

Posted: 14 February 2008 01:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

When it comes to starters I always make one the night before, I use a pinch in a 1L container and by morning theirs enough culture for 100gal, so it will be a good health startup.
The CaCl and rennet that I use are 1/4tsp /gall, so I just multiply to what i have or round it out to the nearest gal (4L).
Good to hear your moving up in size, I find 16L just right for making my 9” wheels. A nice manageable size.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole