My first Goat Milk “Camembert”
Posted: 10 May 2009 10:25 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10

This is my first goat cheese ever. I decided to cut it at the age of 28 (days red face ). The texture is a little bit dry and crumbly, but…....the taste, ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, the taaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaste !!!!!!!! Sorry, I was carried away red face .
I have another goat milk cheese aging, a Tomme. I’ll open it on my son’s 30th birthday at the beginning of July, then will be Tomme’s 4 month birthday. Meanwhile, I wash it with slat brine, it started developing a very nice orange color on the rind.

Image Attachments
CamGoat-26D.jpg
 Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 10 May 2009 01:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Looks fantastic smile !! Good to hear smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 11 May 2009 01:00 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

WOW WOW

looks wonderful

Alex, by the way all my previous cheeses athat we are discussing (my Camembert was raw goat cheeses)

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-10

Mine is raw too, but of course pasteurized for the Camembert style only. Now is my turn to not really understand why the texture came out a bit crumbly and not runny as a real Camembert should. The white mold, as you can see, is perfect. May be I dried the cheese too much before ageing. I have to learn, may be goats milk’s behaviour is more different then I thought. I do not complain about the taste, it’s, it’s…..

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 11 May 2009 02:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

maybe the characteristic of goat milk has something to do with that ... noting that it might be fat content issue

Posted: 28 June 2009 06:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-05-25

Since I have discovered a couple of sources for raw goat milk, I am pondering Camembert for my next attempt.
My book says that you should use calcium chloride when using goats milk.
Is this correct?
Alex, do you make 2 gallon recipes or 3?
Your cheeses look thick and yummie.

Posted: 28 June 2009 10:48 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2009-02-10

First, let me recommend a good book I’ve bought. Until you’ll buy this book, I’ll cite for you from the book.
The Role of Calcium:

“There is a difference between Rennet and Lactic coagulation. It is a loss of minerals (calcium as well) during the latter.
The loss of mineral salts, especially calcium, is of essential importance to the cheesemaker, as it determines subsequent qualities in the body of the cheese, as well as its firmness.
Calcium content in milk, and later in the curds, also has an influence on cheese output.”

As the composition of cow milk and goat milk is quite similar, and for Camembert your process is Rennet coagulation, you have to compensate only for the loss of calcium due to pasteurization. I make goat cheeses exactly like cow milk cheeses. Nevertheless, I’ve noticed that I get more curds from goat milk, using the same amount of milk. You have to make goat Haloumi (if you like it) it worth every drop of milk.

As for the batch I make, the basis is 3 liters of milk for 2 Camemberts. Usually I make from 9 liters (2.4 gall).
Hard and Semi-Hard cheeses, I make from 10 liters (2.7 gall) in a 6” mould. That’s the biggest vat I have for now.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 29 June 2009 04:46 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2009-05-25

Thanks Alex.
I ordered the book.

‹‹ Whey brine      ageing experience ››