Rennet Ice Cream
Posted: 27 August 2009 10:34 PM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2009-07-14

This recipe has actually been around for decades. If any of you use Junket (a tablet form of rennet), the recipe is in the box. The basic idea is that the Junket/Rennet partially curdles the milk, making a custard base without the eggs or much cooking. Unlike liquid rennet, you can usually find Junket in the pudding section at most grocery stores. I haven’t tried it, but liquid animal rennet would probably leave a little bitterness. Junket does not.

This makes about 2 Quarts

1 Cup Sugar   3 Cups Whole Milk   2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream   4 tsp. Vanilla Flavoring   3 Junket Tablets (disolved in 2 tbsp cold water)

Combine all of the ingredients except for the Junket in a saucepan.
Heat to 110 F while stirring constantly.
Want “French” Vanilla? Just add a few drops of Annato (yellow cheese coloring). Doesn’t change the flavor, but it looks fabulous.
Remove from heat
Stir in the disolved Junket.
Let sit UNDISTURBED for 10 minutes. (This is the magic part. Just like making cheese)  wink
Check for a “clean break”.  NO, NO. Just kidding.
You now have a thick yogurt-like custard.

Chill and make ice cream like you normally would.
We stick ours (covered) in the freezer until it just starts to harden just a bit. That way it freezes quicker in the ice cream maker.
Of course you can add chocolate, fruit or lots of other things to taste.

You can actually just stick this in your freezer without using an ice cream maker. Still great, but it’s not as creamy.

This is the creamiest ice cream I have ever tasted. Be careful. It’s addictive.  big surprise

Posted: 28 August 2009 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Junket has not been available in Canada for many years, this might be the situation with other countries too. Might want to try tapioca starch.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 28 August 2009 08:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  45
Joined  2009-07-14

Is there a reason junket hasn’t been available?

Posted: 29 August 2009 10:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I called the manufacturer and I thingk it had something to do with the ingredients. Its been a couple of years since I called.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 01 September 2009 04:59 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05
Neil - 29 August 2009 03:04 PM

I called the manufacturer and I thingk it had something to do with the ingredients. Its been a couple of years since I called.

Junket is rennet

Posted: 01 September 2009 01:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

They may have some preservatives or other ingredients, it does not make sence to not allow it in Canada if its 100% rennet since other band names are allowed in.

http://www.junketdesserts.com/recipes.aspx#Cream

At first, they imported rennet from Denmark, but in 1891 a factory was constructed in Little Falls, New York where Junket is still produced today - more than a century later. The “Junket” brand was first introduced in 1886 and Rennet tablets were the first product to be sold under the Junket brand name.  Junket actually means “milk with rennet” and thus is the inspiration for the brand name. The tablets were designed for household use for making cheese and other dairy products.

In 1911, Chris Hansen began marketing a powder under the brand name “Nesnah” ­ Hansen spelled backwards. It was sweetened and flavored for making custards and drinks and not much different from today’s Junket Rennet Custard. In 1915, the brand name of this product was changed to Junket.

After WWI new products were added to the range.  In 1934, Junket Freezing mix (for making ice cream) was introduced.  This later became known as Junket Ice Cream Mix and filled the need for ice cream that could be made quickly and easily at home.  In 1938, Junket “Quick Fudge and Frosting Mix” was launched. It was later renamed “Minute Fudge” and today is known as Hansen Island Fudge.  In 1939, the Junket Danish Dessert line was introduced. This product was based on the famous Scandanavian Rodgrod or “Red Pudding”.  In 1948, Sherbert mix was introduced as a companion to Ice Cream mix. It was successful for some time, but is no longer produced and marketed.

Junket products were introduced into Canada beginning in 1917 and were produced in Toronto.

In 1958, Salada-Shirrif Horsey acquired the Junket brand from Chs. Hansen Laboratories along with the factory in Little Falls, New York.  Salada-Shirrif Horsey had been created only a year earlier in 1957 by the merger of the Salada Tea Company and Shirrif Horsey.  Shirriff was a Canadian company that had pioneered flavoring essences called “buds” which were used for flavoring dessert products, jelly powders, jellies, and puddings.  In 1962, the company name was changed to Salada Foods, Inc., and was later acquired by cereal maker Kellog in 1969.  Under Kellogg, Salada tea packing operations were merged with Junket in Little Falls in 1973.

Today, Junket mixes and Salada teas are still produced in Little Falls, New York on Hansen Island in the middle of the Mohawk River. Since 1988, Junket and Salada brands have been part of Redco Foods, Inc. You can find Little Falls just off the New York State thruway twenty minutes east of Utica, New York.

QandA

Can I use the rennet past the expiry date?

Rennet loses activity over time, and will last until at least the best before date.  As it is getting to the end of its life, you will notice that it takes longer to set the milk. This is an indication that you should think about getting some more.  When it takes about 10 minutes longer than the time indicated on the recipe, you should get more rennet.  If you add extra rennet to make the cheese set in the required time, you may end up with bitterness developing in the cheese.  Provided that you haven’t contaminated the rennet in some way, the problem with keeping the rennet past the best before date is not one of danger from it being ‘off’ but because it is not setting in the correct time (or in some cases not setting at all), the characteristics of the cheese will be different.

What happens if I use too much rennet?

There is the risk that the cheese will go bitter as it matures.  This is not a health problem but a taste problem.

What is the difference between rennet and junket tablets?

Junket contains the same enzyme as calf rennet. The difference is that junket often has a high pepsin content, which means that when used in cheesemaking the cheese may develop bitterness. However, rennet is a more highly refined product with a higher chymosin content and lower pepsin content and as such, is less likely to develop a bitter flavour in cheese. Junket tablets are also a more expensive method of obtaining the same level of milk coagulation, in comparison with rennet.

Does rennet work the same as junket tablets?

Yes, rennet coagulates the milk the same way junket tablets did. It is just in a liquid form instead of a tablet form. Using the rennet rather than the junket tablets will also ensure your cheese does not end up tasting bitter (if used to the dosage rates on the bottle).

What does calcium solution do?

The calcium solution you ask about is added to homogenised milk to help produce a firmer set, and is also added to goat’s milk to produce a firmer set. The nature of goat’s milk means that it sometimes does not set as firmly as other milks, so calcium solution is recommended to achieve a more consistent set when making cheese from goat’s milk. (This is related to the fact that the calcium in goat’s milk is bonded to the protein, and therefore doesn’t set as well. When you add calcium solution, it is isolated as ‘ions’ in solution, and this makes a nice firm set). Note that it does not help with soft cheeses that are set by acidification, as these cheeses do not use rennet.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 02 September 2009 01:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05
Neil - 29 August 2009 03:04 PM

Image Attachments
junket_back_P1061128.jpg

‹‹ Rennet Yogurt?      New Manchego flavor ››