Sauerkraut
Posted: 28 August 2011 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  360
Joined  2011-02-16

I love sauerkraut, but I have to think about how to spell it. I am making 20lbs of kraut in the bedroom now.

I use 5lbs of cabbage to 4 tablespoons of salt. I slice the cabbage with the food processor, and put it in a big pot and toss it with salt. Then I pack it into a fermenting bucket that I got at the home brewing store that they use for making wine. I pack the bucket full, and then I add a salt brine to the bucket to make sure that the cabbage is covered in water.

I make the brine with 1-1/2 tablespoons of salt per quart of water. I boil it and then cool it off to room temperature. It usually takes more than a quart.

Then I put a disposable plastic plate on the top, you can trim them fit, and then put a weight on the top. I use a 5lb weight, and I vacuum seal it to keep the weight from being in the brine. That weighs it down so that the cabbage stays covered with water.

My fermenter buckets have a place for an air lock. This lets stuff escape from the bucket, but does not let air in the bucket.

I put it in the bedroom an check it after 3 weeks. I have read that you may need to add more brine or drain off more brine, but I have never had to do either. I open it and look at it and wash off the weight bag and put it back on there and wait.

It takes 3 weeks most of the time. You have to taste it and see how tangy it is to see if it’s like you want it.

Then I stuff it into quart jars with 1/2 teaspoon of caraway seed and can it.

Signature 

Herbs, Sausage, Beer and Cheese
Tammy

Posted: 15 September 2011 03:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

This came out really good. It took 3 weeks

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 17 November 2011 12:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  7
Joined  2011-11-17

I have my first ever batch of sauerkraut fermenting right now.  I used 3lbs cabbage and about 2 Tbsp salt.  I didn’t have to add any brine, the cabbage gave up so much liquid.  It has bee fermenting for about 3 weeks so it should be just about ready.

Just the other day I loosened it all up, stirred and repacked.  The very next day there were so many bubbles.  I guess it got “stuck”

Signature 

F_M
Check out my blog at The Homestead Fritz

Posted: 06 March 2015 06:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Joined  2011-02-16

I have another 15 lbs fermenting now. 10 lbs of kraut with caraway seeds and 5 lbs with caraway seed and apples. I made some that was kimchi flavored a few months back. I used regular cabbage and shredded it like I always do but added onions, ginger and chipotle powder. It’s really good too.

Signature 

Tammy

Posted: 14 April 2015 05:03 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  51
Joined  2009-12-17

What do you mean by ‘regular’ cabbage, Tammy?

Posted: 25 September 2018 09:56 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Doing a Red Cabbage today, will add a bit of Natural Apple Cider Vinegar mother to give it a boost.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Hummus      Black Pudding ››