UP milk alternatives?
Posted: 06 January 2013 03:03 PM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-08-29

Hello to all!  I have not made cheese for over three years.  Thought I had a source for raw milk, so restocked on supplies, only to find my source sold their cows.  The only milk I have available is UP.  What needs to be added, other than CACI to the UP milk?  Half-and-Half?  How much?

Thanks for your help.

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 06 January 2013 03:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

I would suggest finding an alternative source, its not worth the headache with UP, the chemistry is not the same. is it the whole state UP ?

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 06 January 2013 05:55 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

I have no alternative sources, or I certainly would be utilizing them.  And yes, the whole state is UP.  Anyone have any suggestions on how to overcome this?

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 07 January 2013 03:05 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Jeanne,

There is a difference between UHT and pasteurized.  I suspect that you are referring to standard pasteurized milk.  The UHT, Ultra High Temperature treated milk, usually comes in waxed cartons.  The milk at your supermarket, in plastic jugs, is NOT UHT.  I think you’ll be able to add CaCl and get by nicely.  I’m certain that the whole state of Oklahoma does NOT require UHT alone.  So, have fun and make cheese!

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 07 January 2013 08:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

Thank you for the clarification.  I researched the dairies that supply milk in Oklahoma and they all apparently heat a few degrees higher than the pasteurization requirement, so I assumed it was ultra pasteurized.  However, I may have found a supplier of raw milk, through Facebook connections. 

There’s two store-bought gallons of milk calling my name.  Haven’t decided what type cheese to make yet.

Jeanne

Signature 

- Jeanne -