Shrinking Romano
Posted: 30 April 2013 02:38 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-30

I am a new cheese maker. Have been at it about 6 weeks, and have made 5 hard cheeses. One, a Romano, made ~ 30 days ago, appears to be shrinking. It has lost 2 to 3 ounces in weight and .5 inches in diameter. Is this normal?
Made from 2 lbs of cows milk.

It has been in a cheese cave at 52 F and 75% RH, turned every day. Should I be thinking about waxing it?
I think it is a very pretty cheese, but at this rate of srinkage am afraid it will completely disappear before it is done aging.
So far I am just making. Have not tried any yet. Fingers crossed.

File Attachments
IMG_20130430_152231.jpg  (File Size: 123KB - Downloads: 513)
IMG_20130430_152739.jpg  (File Size: 126KB - Downloads: 540)

Posted: 30 April 2013 03:40 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I agree - that is a very attractive cheese.  Congratulations.  And, I might add, a nice looking cave for being at it for such a short period of time.  You have a great future in cheese making.  As to the shrinking of the cheese, I can only speculate.  It has to be a loss of moisture in some way.  Has there been any pooling of liquid in the bottom of the fridge?  Is there any cracking in the surface?  Is the cheese still somewhat spongy to the feel or is it harder than when you put it into the fridge?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 30 April 2013 05:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-30

It is harder than when I put it in the cave, but does not seem overly hard. Still some give if I press hard. The rind seems perfect, no cracks, no mold. It has been dry since going in the cave, no weeping of any kind. If this is not normal then I have to assume the humidity is too low. Using a hydrometer from a cigar humidor. Maybe it is not reading correctly. Not sure I can get the humidity up any higher easily.

I knew I needed the cave before I made my first cheese. It is very hot here. Picked up a temp controller off eBay and repurposed a dorm fridge. Seems like it works well.

Made a Gouda last weekend after I read it only needs to age 60 days. I need to try something and get an idea of how things are going before I get to much farther down the road.

Thanks for the kind words.

Since I am new here I am not sure how the pictures I posted show up. In other posts I see the pictures, In my first post I just see a link. Am I doing something wrong?

Posted: 01 May 2013 03:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

No, I don’t perceive that you are doing anything wrong.  I’ve not made a Romano personally, so I can’t speak to its idiosyncrasies.  Your humidity is a bit low.  To bump it up you might try placing a bowl of water in the bottom.  My comment about the cave was directed more at the cheeses than at the appliance - although the appliance is nice too.  It looks pretty much like mine.

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ Newbie intro and question      Pickle Crisp ››