I want a curd knife/harp
Posted: 05 May 2013 12:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

Does anyone know of a supplier who sell adjustable curd knives (also known as curd harps)? They are essentially a frame with either blades or wires that can be reset at different distances from each other and make getting a consistent cut much easier. I am looking for something small enough to be used in one hand.
cheers
Ulf

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 05 May 2013 04:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I haven’t seen an adjustable cutter; and I’m wondering how many gold bars would need to be cashed in to be able to purchase one.  The single size units are pretty expensive as it is.  I made my own, and with a little help from a welder you could do the same, albeit not one that is adjustable.

Measure the inside diameter (ID) of your pot horizontally and vertically.  Acquire some small diameter stainless steel rod, and have it welded into a rectangle that is a couple mm’s short of your width and a few cm’s greater than your height requirement.  Then tie monofilament fishing line onto it to the dimensions you want to cut.  I filed notches in the sides of mine so that the fishing line would not slip out of position.  And, presto, you have a terrific cheese harp.  After making your vertical cuts you simply slide the harp into the central cut and rotate it at least 180 degrees to make your horizontal cuts.

I suppose you could restring it for different sizes, or you could make several of them.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 05 May 2013 05:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2013-05-03

Thanks Rich, I was hoping to not have to make one up as I already have plenty on my plate.
You have however, described pretty much exactly what I am after! I have seen manufactured models that have thin blades held to the frame by allen bolts. Loosen the bolts and you can slide the blade along. Just have to find em now. If I draw a blank I will take the design you suggested down to my local engineering shop and have one made up. I am thinking along the lines of some 10mm stainless round bar heat bent to a rectangle to fit the new cheese vat. If I get the spacing’s drilled instead of slotted I could actually string it in one direction only much like a tennis racket. Different hole widths could be used to make a smaller or larger cuts.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

Posted: 06 May 2013 09:38 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

if your handy you could get a coat hanger (the old types if their still around that are strong) and bend it into shape and use fish line between the bars. Their are some long knives also that bakery suppliers have to use for cutting.
You can also get wire from Bee Hive suppliers that make frames for the Bees.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 15 May 2013 11:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2013-05-03

Good idea. I happen to be a beekeeper and the SS wire used for the frames would be just the ticket! Relatively cheap too.

Signature 

— G. K. Chesterton

Posted: 16 May 2013 09:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Great !! do you know anything about setting up a “Natural” hive for a back yard? been wanting to do one of those.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 16 May 2013 07:12 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2013-05-03

By “Natural” do you mean a hive in a hollow log or the like or do you mean by organic management?
In Australia we are not permitted to keep bees in anything other than a hive with removable frames that can be opened for inspection. However, almost all beekeepers here manage their hives by organic methods simply because there is usually no cause to use chemicals. Effectively the bees live in a completely natural environment and go about their business as they please. A couple of times a year we harvest the excess honey to make plenty of more space available but otherwise they are pretty much left to their own devices.

Signature 

— G. K. Chesterton

Posted: 16 May 2013 07:38 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Sounds like you have a great environment down under.  Around here, the honey bees are getting quite hard to find.  Fortunately for my garden and my fruit orchard, there is still an abundance of Mason bees for pollination.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 17 May 2013 12:39 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Its kind of a V shape going horizontal type hive.They do have frames.

Ok I did a quick search and their called Top bar hive (also known as Kenyan hive). So I guess you havent used one of them.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 17 May 2013 09:26 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2013-05-03

Yes, the V shape hives are usually “top bar” Hives. Each comb is suspended by a single timber bar across the top only. They have been made legal to use here over the last few years and are growing in popularity. The drawback to this design is that it is impossible to harvest honey without destroying the comb and that you have no way to stop the queen laying on whatever frame she pleases. The advantage is that these hives are very cheap to make and maintain. As for the natural aspect, the method of keeping is the same as far as the bees are concerned.

Signature 

— G. K. Chesterton

Posted: 18 May 2013 10:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Gonna see if I get get one built, had no luck last year.
http://www.beginningbeekeeping.com/How_to_build_a_top_bar_hive.pdf

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

‹‹ Hi from Australia      Farmhouse cheese. ››