Slimy Whey!!
Posted: 10 May 2013 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  3
Joined  2013-04-25

I am a novice cheese maker, it started because I don’t like to waste, so I started rearing chicken to eat leftovers….I ended up having a farm with cows, goats and sheep, with milk no one likes to drink as it smells of the farm and not like store brought cartons. I made yoghurt then butter which was a lot of effort. Nabil sent me rennet tablets and I tinkered with cheese making with instructions from Nabil over Viber and it turned out to be nice farmers cheese! Consumed within 24 hours and demands for more which encouraged me.
Next batch I added yogurt as starter but this time the whey was a bit slimy and the cheese very creamy! I have after pressing with a rubber band pushing a glass on a mould for 48 hours put it in a brine solution to age to make ?feta.
Question have I done anything wrong to produce a slimy whey or could it be due to maybe the milk was a bit hot, I have noticed that if the milk is hot the yoghurt is slimy or is it the type of bacteria?

Posted: 10 May 2013 07:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hello, and good to hear a new voice.  I can’t speak definitively on this subject; but I have a thought that might help.  You said the milk was hot, and that leads me to believe the sliminess in the whey was butterfat being lost.  You’ll find that things like temp are critical to a good make.  If you haven’t already done so, you should invest in a good stainless thermometer to keep an eye on this.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 11 May 2013 12:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2013-04-25

Thanks, I am looking for one, in Muscat these things are limited but I will visit the UK in June and maybe find one there.

Posted: 11 May 2013 05:14 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

you can purchase any supplies you need online, if you choose to do so.  Check out New England Cheesemaking; they have a lot.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 12 May 2013 01:03 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2013-04-25

Thanks, I bought some from that shop. I found some non-iodized salt but with anti-caking agents, is that ok or pure salt with no addatives is the only recommended.

Posted: 12 May 2013 03:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

I have no experience with salt having additives; but I’d be reluctant to use anything with additives.  I would think that, in your location, sea salt would be readily obtainable.

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ Yogocheddar      how much herbs? ››