Aging Goat Cheese
Posted: 29 May 2013 08:17 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-04-22

Hi everyone! This weekend I’m going to attempt to make a chevre and age it a bit. My husband is out of homebrew so that means I can clean out his beer fridge, hook up the temperature controller and try aging some cheese. The most information I can find on aging chevre is at this link: http://www.cheesemaking.com/Chevre.html (scroll to the bottom, to “Beyond the Basics.” And of course, I have a few questions…

First, during the drying period, I’m supposed to, “set on open air shelving in a 60-65 °F room with a fan to move air over the cheeses.” Since I don’t have a real life cave, just my kitchen and a mini fridge, I’m wondering if anyone has any advice to best accomplish this. I can easily put the this cheese in my sterile fridge, but not with a fan, or moving air. Alternatively, I was thinking I could place the cheese on it’s mat over or near a cooler of ice in my kitchen, next to a fan and carefully monitor the temperature. If I go this route, I’m wondering what you all do to ensure good hygeine in cases like this. I can scrub my entire kitchen with soap, bleach and star san, but still will not be confident that I’ve eliminated the chance of a tiny particle of something getting near my cheese, especially when there is a fan going.

Seondly, I am not planning to add mold to this batch of cheese, but this page indicates that, “natural yeast and molds from the environment will form a natural mottled surface of white and blue molds as seen in many French style farmstead cheeses.” How will I know if the natural molds that form are good or bad? I know much of this knowledge will come with practice and experience, but what is a newbie to do? If you know of any online resources that could help feel free to send them my way! Thanks so much for your help and expertise!

Posted: 29 May 2013 08:58 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Besides spaying down the fridge with bleach solution, theirs not much you can do, just opening the fridge will allow yeast particles into the fridge. Fan wise i would use one of those battery operated ones that are small, you dont need anything big to move air around or fast, just a constant slow turn.
Sprinkle salt on the surface is the best way to protect the cheese, some people have dusted them with ash.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 30 May 2013 06:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  33
Joined  2013-05-03

Look for the desired result behind the instructions.  “set on open air shelving in a 60-65 °F room with a fan to move air over the cheeses” suggests to me it was originally aged in a cave or cellar with some air movement occasionally. If you get your fridge temperature correct you could just open the fridge door to exchange the humid air for dry air a couple of times a day and will probably achieve the desired results.

Signature 

“There are two ways to get enough: one is to continue to accumulate more and more.  The other is to desire less.”
— G. K. Chesterton

http://thecloudfarm.blogspot.com.au/

Posted: 30 May 2013 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2013-04-22

Great advice! Thank you both so much!

‹‹ Holiday greetings      Colby test ››