Dry cheese
Posted: 06 August 2013 05:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I had a mishap recently that affected my cheeses.  While doing some remodeling, one of my electrical circuits got shut off by the carpenters.  It was not noticed for several days; and as fate would have it, it was the circuit that my cheese fridge was on.  So there were several days - very, very hot days - with no refrigeration at all.  I only had three cheeses in it at the time: a Colby, a Cotswold and a Leicester.  The Colby showed no signs of damage, but the other two both had an accumulation of liquid inside the vac bags.  I opened them, drained off the liquid and checked the wheels over carefully.  There was no off odor, and they both tasted as they should, but were dry.  (They are both about 4 months old)  Now I know that most people would say, duh, with the liquid loss what else would you expect?  But dryness is a common problem with my cheddar types.  I use a pH meter so I know the acid level is proper prior to aging.  I would really like to have a creamier cheese than what I’m getting, even though the flavor is terrific.  Any suggestions?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 06 August 2013 08:23 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Add more fat content. I use the 18% thats normally used for coffee etc, but the 10% would do as well if its not available. The whipping creams have too much chemicals in them.
Hope they turn out.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 07 August 2013 05:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

That may help; but I don’t think that is the problem.  I’m already using fresh raw milk- full cream.

Signature 

Rich

‹‹ Sage Derby      1st Cheddar ››