Yeast smell and taste issue.
Posted: 12 December 2015 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2015-12-12

Hi, new member here.
Cheese making is going ok if you don’t count forgetting the calcium chloride in my mozz, and over salting, and forgetting the salt completely, and the puppy eating a quarter of a 2lb. wheel of blue. Water under the bridge. Right now I am having a yeast smell and taste issue. I am thinking this is simply the need for better hygiene in the ripening container and a reduction of humidity. It seems to have mostly dissipated when I completely took it out of the ripening container and just left it on a mat in the cheese fridge. Humidity in the cheese fridge is 75%, temp is 50 degrees. Any help would be appreciated?

Posted: 13 December 2015 04:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

First, welcome to the forum.  Sounds like you’ve had your ups and downs along the way.

You say the yeast smell dissipates once the wheel airs for a while.  However, the title of your post indicates a yeast taste as well.  You’ve hit on the answer yourself - hygiene!  But not just in the ripening container (assuming this is the drying stage?).  Scrupulous sanitation should be sought at every stage.  I had the same problem early on, and solved it by being almost neurotic about cleanliness.  I even sanitize the outside of my containers before I pour my milk into the pot.  So, carefully examine your procedures, and I’m confident you’ll find the source.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 13 December 2015 07:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2015-12-12

Do you use any cleaning compound? I wash with dish soap and scald with boiling water, then allow the item to cool. This however is not how I started out so I am probably solving the problem for future cheese.

Posted: 13 December 2015 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I scald my ripening pot - I’ll boil water in it for at least 20 minutes.  Everything else gets sanitized with bleach.  A lot of people use Starsan, but I’ve always used bleach.  I have a 5 gallon canner that holds my sanitizing solution, and I let things soak in it until I’m ready for them.  Then a quick rinse in hot water just prior to use.  Sinks and countertops all get the bleach treatment.

Signature 

Rich