Gouby cheese
Posted: 08 January 2016 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

I’m due to make cheese today - I make cheese every Tuesday and Friday - but I am a bit bored with making the same cheeses.  There are about 6 different cheeses I make, but I wanted something different.  So, it’s experimentation time!  At the moment, my two favs are Gouda and Colby.  Hence, a combination of the two seemed to be in order.  I’m going to follow the Gouda recipe with one exception.  I’ll use equal amounts of MM100 and MA11 cultures.  I expect it will yield a Gouda texture with a slightly enhanced flavor.  Any of you got some personalized recipes that you’d care to share?

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 14 January 2016 06:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Thought I’d give a progress report on this one.  It didn’t turn out as I expected it would.  Where my gouda always is a soft textured cheese, this turned out much more dense.  I can only imagine that the MA11 culture caused a drier, more compact curd after cooking.  So, should I do this cheese again, I’ll shorten the cook time from an hour to 45 minutes.  I’m going to age this at least 2 months and maybe 3, so it will be a while before I can evaluate it further.  I’ll try to remember to keep you posted.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 22 January 2016 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Sure the temps were not higher then normal for it to be firmer?
Still think any cheese should be at least 3 months smile
Take pics smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole