New Cheesemaker
Posted: 17 February 2016 06:45 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-02-17

Hi all

Just wanted to drop in to say hello, as the title suggests i am new to cheese making.

I have always wanted to give it a go and finally my husband bought me my first kit for Valentines Day so this weekend i am going to give it a go!

Its good to know that i have a place to turn for advice, i am based in the UK but gathers that theres members from all over on this forum?

Looking forward to getting to know you all!

Carly grin

Posted: 17 February 2016 07:22 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  38
Joined  2015-12-12

Welcome, please ask any questions you have. Making cheese in Kansas here.

Posted: 17 February 2016 07:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

Hey Ginger,

It’s good to welcome another new cheese maker.  I remember starting out myself - about 8 years ago.  I was uncertain about everything, so I was quite meticulous about following recipes.

A couple or three pointers here.  First, keep a journal and make notes on every batch you make.  That way, if there is an especially good (or bad) batch, you’ll be able to go back and see what you did with that one.  Second, keep it clean!  Sanitation is critically important.  And third, use the very best quality milk you can get your hands on.  If you are fortunate enough to have access to raw milk, you’ll be richly rewarded.  Fresh, whole cream milk makes fantastic cheese.

So, what kind of cheese are you starting with?  And remember, we love pictures!

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 17 February 2016 09:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2016-02-17

Thanks for the welcome guys!

Well the kit i have is for both soft and hard cheeses, i don’t expect miracles and in fact i suspect that the first few i do won’t be amazing but i thought i would start with a basic cheddar and see how i go with that?

The instruction i have are written pretty badly and a little confusing so i have watched a video on You Tube today which makes it clearer, i have however realised that i don’t think i have the right equipment to make a start as planned so i think i will collect up the right things first. so far i think i need….

* Stainless steel colander and utensils
* Stainless steel pan
* Press
* curd cutter

i have a thermometer and some cheese cloth in the kit. is there anything i haven’t thought of? similarly if i am over thinking it, please do say

Posted: 17 February 2016 11:42 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

The thermometer is essential.  Two would be best, especially if you’re using a hot water bath to heat your milk.  A stainless pot is the best, but enamelware can be used as a substitute.  The utensils can be plastic if you don’t have stainless.  Just be sure to thoroughly sanitize.  The curd cutter is just a knife that’s long enough to reach the bottom of your pot.  You can construct a fancier cutter later.  The press, however, is an absolute essential for hard cheese.  If your husband is handy with tools, he could build a press fairly easily, and inexpensively.  I’d suggest you search the web for designs to build a Dutch type press.  These use lever action to increase the mechanical advantage.  So you get multiplied pressure from relatively light weights.  With mine, a two pound weight yields 20 pounds pressure.  That way, you’re not having to handle heavy bricks or whatever.  You’ll also need some cheese cloth.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 18 February 2016 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Welcome to the Forum !
You need a PH meter too, very essential, unless you make Bloomed cheeses smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 18 February 2016 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2008-05-14

Actually, Neil, I haven’t used my pH meter for over a year.  It was becoming unreliable. And I haven’t had a bod cheese yet.  I’ll go so far as to say the meter would be handy for a commercial cheese maker.  But for us at home, it’s not really necessary.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 18 February 2016 02:04 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

that’s possible, you do it enough times you can see when its ready smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole