Curds suddenly turned loosely during cooking -  batch lost !!
Posted: 02 July 2007 04:09 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

Dears

Yesterday i faced something odd for first time while making a batch of cheese. i was using raw cow milk (very fresh clean as it is still warm from the cow).

i used fresh yogurt instead of buttermilk, i added 2 cups of fresh yogurt to 10 Littres (3 gallons) of milk at 31C. i let it ripen for 45 mins, then added rennet, clean break, cut 1cm, cooking slowly to 38C, cruds was firm, and set in the pot (with clear whey), i hold the temp at 38C for another 30mins, and suddenly the curds went loosely, and melted, so soft like it swallowed the whey back, i tasted one curd it was so sour, all the batch turned into loosely very soft one mass giving out white milky whey (and lost it firmness) it was looked like mozz at 80C, i tried to add hot water to decrease the acid, but no hope, i tried to drain them then make mozz, also no way, it was a mess gummy loosely mass.

What did i do wrong?
Is it using thermo starter (yogurt) at 38C ?
Very strange, what was the coz ?
Why the curds gone this way?
why it gave out its fat (milky whey)? suddenly !!

Posted: 03 July 2007 11:19 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

been thinking about this for a while, the only thing I can come up with is the strain of yogurt, their are numerous used, also yogurt normally separates if stirred. I don’t recall any recipes using Yogurt, just Buttermilk when they don’t use cheese culture. So to find out if it was the yogurt i would do the same thing over using the buttermilk (I take it u dont have access to cheese cultures).
Good Luck.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 04 July 2007 08:36 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

I use yogrut as thermo starter, i live in Syria, and we do not have ready made freezed culture, so i use home made buttermilk from scratch as meso starter, and yogurt as thermo starter.
I think as you said, this yogurt was gone mad in acide (new type of yogurt).  I think we can still make mozzarella using meso, can’t we (i usualy do very nice mozz with buttermilk).  and i think also that buttermilk will be slow at 38-39C, but yogurt will be more active at this temp.

anyway i will post tomorrow what i did in this batch which i retreated its acidity, and turned to nice new type of cheese wink i need to name it with new name smile

Posted: 04 July 2007 11:26 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Further reading has shown me that their are some recipes for cheese using yogurt however u need to know what type it is, it can be L. bulgaricus or S. thermophiles so u need to know whats what.
smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 04 July 2007 03:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

First, I envy your ability to use fresh, warm raw milk.

My guess also is the yogurt is the culprit.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 06 July 2007 12:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

Neil, regarding the yogurt cheese recipes , see this link http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese_5_gallons/CHEESE_5gal_00.htm David used 2 cups live cultured yogurt (Dannon Plain)  oh oh  .

anyway, regarding the lost batch of cheese, i added hot water 80C to the cruds mass, untill the temp of the mess became 55C, then i stired, left for 5 mins, and i put in colander for 10 mins, then i sank the curds with cold water and salt in the fridge for 24hours or so, then i drained them, left them in the colnder in fridge for 3 days, it was flacky in wide layers with very nice flevor full white cheese. (i do not know if i can call it layers cottage cheese).

anyway today am planing to do some nice meal with them, i will add few egges, mix well, salt, fresh shopped parsley, little bit of paper, and i will put small amounts in flattened dough, bake, you all should taste it with me tongue rolleye i might post you a photo of it.

Rick, today i went to 20Km away farm, and i brought 22Kg (about 5-6 gallons), out from the cows, i reach my home, and the raw milk still warm 35C, i started my weekend batch cheese just now. it is nice to have such a milk, but in other hand i can not get packed starters and molds.  blank stare

Posted: 06 July 2007 02:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Thanks!
Sounds Great!

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 06 July 2007 09:17 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Do have “Astro” brand in your neck of the woods? I found that to be the strongest culture. Why not order proper cheese culture, not expensive and it last a long time. Just use a few grains of it and it grows very fast. little gram packet lasted me 8 months/20 batches.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 July 2007 02:30 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

the cheese pie as promised wink

Image Attachments
cheese_pie.jpg

Posted: 08 July 2007 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

u got a bigger pic LOL

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 July 2007 01:15 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

this is a bigger pic smile

as i said :  it is baked bread dough (stuffed with) cheese + parsley + eggs + alittle bit butter (optional)

delicious

Image Attachments
cheese_pie.jpg