Stilton
Posted: 16 July 2007 01:22 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-05-17

well, I too have tried a stilton after the usual ton of manic research on my part.  For instance Ricky Carroll and Jim Wallace of cheesemaking.com ladle curds uncut into the whey.  But on several Stilton websites, they cut the curd, so I did too.  Also, I let the curds sit in the whet for 2.5 hours instead of 1.5.  At hooping, I got the curds dry enough and at the right acidity (4.7 pH).  Only problem, the heat got away from me (to 94F) for a while in the beginning but I cooled it down with ice in the outer kettle.  Now it is three days in the mold and I am skeptical whether this agglomeration of tofu like chunks will ever cohere enough for me to scrape it on the fifth day (to eliminate external crevices).  Anyone have any (encouraging) advice?

On the other hand, my raw milk camemberts have turned out great.  So I know I can do it if I perservere.  Onwards. 

I want to try a cabrales blue mainly because it is traditionally wrapped in sycamore leaves and there is a Sycamore Ave nearby that is sure enuf filled with sycamores.
Also it cow & goat milk which is kinda cool.

Posted: 16 July 2007 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

The last blue I did was the best success I had (see web site) The diff I did is that I had the curds in a crumbled state and then pored them into the mold and did not press them, just rotated them frequently so they leveled off from their own weight, this created lots of air pockets and I actually never needled it and the bluing was perfect.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 17 July 2007 05:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

but this will cause problem
how can u scrab it and it does have full smooth surface?

Posted: 17 July 2007 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

after the cheese is removed from the mold, they use a knife and smooth the sides, I didnt, but will the next time.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 29 July 2007 02:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  13
Joined  2007-05-17

I tried again.  this time I didn;t dry the curdsmso much and it worked fine.

‹‹ Scamorza, bitter test      cheese wax ››