camembert: modern vs normandy
Posted: 24 August 2007 06:51 PM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2007-08-24

Hi,

I did a one day course at the blessedcheese a couple of weeks ago.
We made fetta, ricotta and camembert.

The camembert was made with thermophilic starter. There is an australian company that
sells cheese making supplies and a book that gives recipes for modern and normandy camembert
with slightly different methods but the main one is that moden camembert uses thermophilic bacteria.

Does anyone know if there is any good reason to use the thermophilic rather than the mesophilic
culture? I don’t want to buy another culture if its not necessary. I’ve got the Rikki Carrol book and that
recipe calls for mesophilic.

And while I’m on the subject. Any suggestions for making camembert molds? The blessed cheese sells
lengths of food grade pvc pipe with holes drilled in it but they are $10 each and if there’s a cheaper solution
I’d be interested.

thanks!

Oh and here’s an interesting article about the history and commodification of camembert.
http://books.guardian.co.uk/lrb/articles/0,6109,1097580,00.html

Signature 

Samantha

Posted: 25 August 2007 11:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Never tried or heard of using Thermophilic in Camembert. Molds I use baking forms and containers that wer filled with protein mixes, drill holes before cutting off the ends.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 August 2007 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  87
Joined  2007-08-24

Protein mixes! That’s a good idea. Unfortunately the brand I use comes in square containers but
powerade bottles and 400 capsule fish oil jars would do.

Now I just have to beg borrow or steal some from my friends! smile

Signature 

Samantha

‹‹ Swiss 2      CHEESE step-by-step parameters ››