Aging
Posted: 30 August 2007 07:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  156
Joined  2007-08-29

I’ve just made my first cheese, a colby, and now am wondering about aging.  What do home cheesemakers use to keep the temperature right?

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 30 August 2007 10:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

bottom of the fridge (crisper)

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 30 August 2007 11:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

The temperature in my crisper is 40 to 42 at the lowest setting on the frig.  Any other suggestions?

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 31 August 2007 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

45 is about average form the books I see, depends on what your making. So I would say close enough.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 31 August 2007 05:27 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

Maybe I’m being obtuse here, but is the temperature not critical?  It was my impression directions must be followed to the letter.  Or is close enough close enough?

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 31 August 2007 07:30 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

Well, both. To create a cheese true to it’s name and type, you should follow the recipe as closely as possible. However, in a home environment, that can be tough. I’ve had trouble keeping humidity correct more than anything. I use some “mini” fridges that are controlled with a thermostat to get the temperatures I want, but still struggle with getting a high enough or low enough humidity. So, you get as close as you can and still get great cheese. Maybe not perfectly true to the original recipe, but great nonetheless. And, that is what home cheesemaking is all about—making great cheese at home that has your own “fingerprints” on it. So, don’t sweat it. Get as close as you can, experiment, and have fun.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 31 August 2007 07:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

Thanks for the common-sense answer.  As I said, this is my first attempt.  I think I may have rushed the curd-cutting process.  I didn’t get a clean break, as I now know it to be, and instead the curd had more of a cottage cheese consistency.  I forged ahead and went through the whole process.  It looks good to me (what do I know?).  Do you think it’s ruined, or will it just have perhaps a slightly different texture and taste than the recipe intended?

Signature 

- Jeanne -

Posted: 31 August 2007 07:49 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

You’d be surprised how soft and fragile the curd can be once cut, even with a clean break and especially on cheeses that are low-temperature cheeses. I’t will be fine.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 01 September 2007 10:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

When I firsts started I did a whole bunch of small batches to see how they reacted and getting the techniques down, then I went for the big batches. Trial and error is the learning curve, keep notes of temperatures, times and what u did, then u can compare notes.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 01 September 2007 02:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-08-29

Thanks for the info.  I’m going to try another batch this weekend.  I am very excited about this new hobby.

Signature 

- Jeanne -

‹‹ Cheap / Free Cheese Mats?      Farmhous Jack ››