Differing Blue Cheese Characteristics
Posted: 12 December 2007 05:32 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

My question has to do with obtaining different characteristics of Blue Cheese.
If I purchase a culture, say MM100 and a little Penicillium roqueforti to aid in vein production, my result is going to be what it is.
According to this site:
http://glengarrycheesemaking.on.ca/starterscultures.htm
I find under the following culture headings of Ripening cultures from Danisco (France) and
Mesophilic Starters from Danisco (France) the following:
MA4001/4002
MM100/101
BT001/002
Under Ripening cultures from Danisco (France), Penicillium roqueforti, we find characteristics that produce Blue-Green, Light Blue, Bright Blue and Dark Blue-Green. All used in the production of Blue Cheese.

So my question is, if I were to experiment with these different combinations of starter and ripening cultures could I expect to get different textures and tastes in my final product?

I don’t find all Blue’s to be the same. I really like Maytag as well as Stilton, yet I find a difference between the two, and I like the fact that I have that choice of option.

So what say you Blue Cheese experts, can I vary texture and taste through the different combinations of the above?

Posted: 12 December 2007 05:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

1- u said “Penicillium roqueforti to aid in vein production”  , please note that u must need “Penicillium roqueforti” not to aid, but to make blue cheese, so it is a must, not an option for aid.
2- for me, i buy my favorite blue cheese and take a peice and i use it instead of buying “Penicillium roqueforti”. and i ended up with my what-i-bought orginal blue cheese flavor.

cheers

Posted: 12 December 2007 06:28 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Nabil, another thought comes to mind. You mentioned that “Penicillium roqueforti” is a must in the production of Blue Cheese. The “needling” of Blue Cheese is to allow air into the body of the cheese to aid in vein production, correct? So if one were to needle the holes with the sterile needle and then inoculate the needle with a Penicillium roqueforti solution and pass it in and out of the existing holes, would this give you any kind of a “Super Blue”? This is assuming also that you did add it in the beginning too. You’d just be giving it that “extra kick” of sorts along in the process.

Posted: 12 December 2007 07:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

yes, this could give a kick, good luck

Posted: 12 December 2007 11:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

The best result I got was to not press the cheese, just rotate it so it presses itself leaving lots of spaces. This creates a wonderfull distribution of blue without needling. I posted pics some time ago. SO I would suggest u try dif ways in say 3 batches that u make back to back that way u dont need to wait so long to try another style. I do find it better to get the cultures from a good quality store bought cheese without adding any other PR culture. Others say not too because some people fear contamination from the store cheeses, I just make sure it comes from the center of the piece I get. I have some commercial grade PR culture, havent used it yet but it will be my next batch.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 12 December 2007 05:42 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

I agree with Neil, This is more-or less how traditional Stilton was made. The big issue is to get the curd to knit without pressure. You must cut it into big ( 4” ) pieces and drain the whey only as fast as it rises to the top of the pan. Very slow is the key. Dont mould the curd until at least 24h after renneting. Apply no pressure. There should be 1 1/2 lb of curd per u.s. gal of milk ( less means curd is too dry to knit). It will take a few days to drain. Turn daily, more at first. Good luck.

Posted: 13 December 2007 05:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Kev, need some clarification on your process.
<You must cut it into big ( 4” ) pieces and drain the whey only as fast as it rises to the top of the pan

So you do the vertical cutting in both directions, but you don’t put your knife on an angle and cut the curd into short pieces?

<Very slow is the key

Your talking about draining off the whey as the curd sinks here? How much time is involved in this process?

<Dont mould the curd until at least 24h after renneting.

Where is your curd stored for this 24 hour period? Room temp. or in the fridge and at what temp.?

<Apply no pressure

How are you filling your mould? Are you packing the curd in, or just placing it in without packing it tight?

Thanks

Posted: 13 December 2007 07:01 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

i cut the cheese in 2cm cubes, leaving them in whey to increase the acid for 1 hour, then i drain the curds
then i salt them, then packing in mold with very light follower, and turn every hour.
i only use store-brought cheese, and the results are wonderful see the pic of 1month old pic of my blue wheels which i do make holes see attached too

the curds get together well and alot of free space is still between, i do help oxygen flow by making holes which is very essential for full blue mold growing

Image Attachments
blue.jpgholes.jpg

Posted: 13 December 2007 09:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Mmmmmmmmm Love blue cheese. Had some last night as a notchos dip LOL

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 December 2007 03:20 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Cut vertical in one direction, then sloping at right angles from both ends. Keep the curd as warm as possible without additional heat. I use duvets wrapped round the bucket, stood on polystyrene sheet & duvet over lid. Bale off excess whey every couple of hours for eight or nine hours. Then go to bed and leave curd on remaining whey over night still wrapped up cosy. Next morning run off remaining whey and place in moulds. gently, do not press at all. Turn directly afterwards then again later in the day.

Posted: 06 January 2008 05:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

how they manage in factories to keep the blue only inside the wheel (about half inch deep from all the rind), and this half inch has clean zero blue with holes when u cut it??

any idea?

Posted: 06 January 2008 10:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Not sure. perhaps by washing the rind regularly with brine or a brine & vinegar mix? some would possibly penetrate the outer few mm and inhibit mould growth. I know that on a Traditional Stilton the outside of the cheese is sort of smeared smooth with a knife or spatula daily until a skin develops. this smearing I suppose closes the pores / spaces and leaves no space for mould to develop.