Stink Factor…and be HONEST!
Posted: 12 December 2007 12:07 PM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

Okay, I took the bait…hook, line and sinker on cheese making! In order to convince the wife that this is a noble undertaking, only by the greatest culinary minds of the world….how big really is the stink factor in all this? Nobody seems to have made an honest comment on this subject. I hope you’re not all sitting back laughing either!
My culinary vault of these valuable bricks of succulent morsels will be confined to the basement area. Along with my crock of homemade pickled bologna and a crock of fermenting sauerkraut. My wife is an old farm girl and very understanding of my peculiar endeavors! But there are limits, even for a farm girl which leads me into my next question.

Since we’ve approached the subject of “stink” perhaps I can ask (which I hope doesn’t get me banned from this site), about Limburger, I know it’s not for the faint of heart! Anyone ever tried making it?
I personally don’t care for it…but I have a friend that enjoys Limburger and sardine sandwiches with his beer! Yes, he’s married and I do pity his poor wife! Nah, I don’t hate the woman!

Posted: 12 December 2007 01:08 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

LOL, I have all my cheeses in the crisper in the fridge with all my other food and theirs been no problem even with my blue cheeses. Only when a cheese has gone wrong in the initial ripening process has it gotten the ammonia smell. Never made Limburger, dont need to, artisan cheeses tend to have a stronger flavor.
Limburger is basically a washed cheese with brine an the surface coated with “Brevibacterium linens” with Mesophilic starter for your base recipe.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 13 December 2007 07:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

i never taste Limburger long face

Posted: 13 December 2007 08:51 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-09-29

My Grandfather loved Limburger…I remember one night when I was a wee lad, smelling this horrendous odor in my second floor bedroom and yelling “Dad!  I think the toilet’s backed up again!”

smile

Signature 

Gemstone

Posted: 13 December 2007 09:44 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

LOL My mom used to love it.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 27 December 2007 08:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

do u know shanglish ?

Posted: 27 December 2007 10:12 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Chinese Province or Lebanese Dish ?

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 January 2008 09:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-11-25

my parents loved limberger too.  I keep my cheese in a wine cooler so no mixing with the food.  but the only smelly cheese I made was my first - made it in the summer in connecticut on a very humid weekend - really stank up the house as it went bad by day 2 of drying at room temp.  basic hard cheeses are not stinky!

Posted: 10 January 2008 07:41 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

it is Lebanese Dish