1 of 3
I want to know how to do this cheese ! Cast Feta
Posted: 06 January 2008 04:24 AM   [ Ignore ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

Hey

there is a cheese i really want to know how they make it, the problem is that it is fresh cheese, and i don;t know the name of it, i will explain:

1- color : very very white
2- texture very very smooth (creamy) (no holes no curd like inner texture)
3- when u buy it, you buy in blocks (pound or less each) with brine around.
4- looks like Greek feta, but it is not feta, here they sell it as Bulgarian cheese.
5- not very very salty, but it is salty.
6- u need to cut it by knife, or it will break by hand, and if you squeeze it, it will became puree
7- they use it in greek salad (again not feta, feta is harder and has curds alike inside)

Any idea ?? i know tha it is feta cheese family but how ? how they achieve this very firm soft cheese?

Posted: 06 January 2008 08:02 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-09-29

Just about everything I hit in Google comes up with feta.  Could it possibly be a variation of feta?

Signature 

Gemstone

Posted: 06 January 2008 06:45 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

The cheese you are talking about is called PEYNIR and it similiar to feta. To get the dense texture you must use a non-gas producing culture. The only reference I have to it is in here ( they mis-spell it paynir)... http://www.danlac.com/download/Danlac_Product_Selector_v3.pdf

Posted: 07 January 2008 12:45 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

oh kevthefarmer thanks a lot
Finaly i know now its name , now you made me happy smile

Posted: 07 January 2008 12:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

but you are not talking about http://biology.clc.uc.edu/fankhauser/Cheese/Panir.html Panir right ??

or this

http://www.cheesemaking.com/text_detail-cPath-37_57_93&products_id=389.php

Posted: 07 January 2008 05:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

Nabil, if this cheese you’ve described is Panir, then the recipe can be found in the “Making Artisan Cheese” by Tim Smith. I was reading my copy last evening and I’m 99% sure that recipe is in the book. I’ll confirm tonight and let you know tomorrow.

Posted: 07 January 2008 05:47 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

panir is just a kind of ricotta (vinegar cheese and can not hold it’s shape) this is not what i am trying to say

Posted: 07 January 2008 06:29 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Nabil, I’ll post the different name cheeses found in this book and perhaps you might recognize one that falls into the category you’re thinking of.
I’ve always thought that to be a good idea when one is considering the purchase of a book anyway. I know Ricki’s book and this one have different cheese recipes in them. Again, there are also some duplications of the same types of cheeses. Yet it’s nice to have a variety of different recipes to choose from!

Posted: 07 January 2008 10:34 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

U might be thinking of “Gaziantep cheese”, having a heck of a time finding info on it though LOL
http://cat.inist.fr/?aModele=afficheN&cpsidt=1711074

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 January 2008 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

No, Nabil, not panir. Though the similiar names are confusing. I dont know a lot about it, but the reference in the link I gave you http://www.danlac.com/download/Danlac_Product_Selector_v3.pdf clearly puts it in the feta family of cheeses. Unfortunately though danlac mention it in their product selector pdf they dont seem to have a recipe in their otherwise extensive cheese recipe library http://www.danlac.com/store/index.asp?category=6
  But wait!  I just went to the last link and I see there is a recipe for Turkish White Cheese, now I think we’re getting somewhere! as there is a great deal of turkish influence in that part of the balkans including Bulgaria and peynir is also a turkish white cheese (from google).

Posted: 08 January 2008 03:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

Neil, there is nothing there!!

Posted: 08 January 2008 03:54 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

kevthefarmer,
Peynir http://www.cheesemaking.com/text_detail-cPath-37_57_93&products_id=389.php i think it is totaly deferent than Panir.
and i think is what u said is correct (Bulagrian , turkish, dense wet feta)  see the above link…

Posted: 08 January 2008 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

word peynir means cheese; in turkish language , oops !!

Posted: 08 January 2008 05:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

Nabil, here are the types of cheese recipes you’ll find in the book I mentioned above, “Making Artisan Cheese”.
Some are repeats found in Ricki’s book and others are not. Either way, it’s kind of nice to know what the book lists before you buy it. You’d hate to buy a book that is filled with duplicate recipes that you may already have from another book.

Basic
Paneer, Fresh Chevre, Quark, Yogurt, Yogurt Cheese, Cream Cheese, Lemon Cheese, Mascarpone, Crème Fraiche, Cottage Cheese

Intermediate
Monterey Jack, Cotswold, Cantal, Halloumi, Pyrnees, Feta, Caerphilly, Cheddar, Cloth Banded Cheddar

Washed Curd
Colby, Gouda, Edam, Leiden, Cabra al Vino

Cooked Cheese
Emmental, Gruyere, Parmesan, Romano, Bra

Pasta Filata
Mozzarella, Provolone

Whey Cheese
Ricotta, Gjetost, Myseast

Advanced Cheese
White Stilton
White Stilton with blueberries
White Stilton with candied ginger
Blue Stilton
Blue Gouda, Camembert, Fromage Fort, Neufchatel, Crottin, Muenster

Posted: 08 January 2008 05:31 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

Intermediate :
Pyrnees

can u tell if it is alike as we mentioned above?

Posted: 08 January 2008 09:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Gaziantep cheese is a non-fermented and enzyme clotted type cheese.
The changes in oxidative and hydrolytic rancidity in the cheese were analysed during its storage. Storage conditions were selected as 4, 10 and 20°C and 90, 170, 200 and 230 g kg[-1] salt solutions by considering the traditional storage conditions. Oxidative rancidity increased with increasing temperature and NaCl concentration in the brine. Hydrolytic rancidity increased with increasing temperature and decreasing salt content of the cheese. The extent of oxidative rancidity was found to be higher than hydrolytic rancidity. The results of this study showed that the storage temperature should not be higher than 10°C and brine concentration must be higher than 90 g kg[-1] and lower than 230 g kg[-1] to minimize lipid oxidation. Gaziantep cheese was organoleptically examined after 2 months of storage at 20°C and in 90, 170 and 230 g kg[-1] salt solutions, and it was found that even at a peroxide value around 1 meq kg[-1], acceptable levels of changes in flavour were observed. Sensory analysis results showed that textural properties of Gaziantep cheese changed with salt concentration of the brine.

Its from a commercial paper.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

1 2 3 > 
1 of 3