2 of 3
I want to know how to do this cheese ! Cast Feta
Posted: 09 January 2008 01:57 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 16 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

oh thanks..
i found that Pyrnees in “Making Artisan Cheese” book is not what i am looking for .....

Neil do u have any idea of how to make Gaziantep Cheese

Posted: 09 January 2008 09:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 17 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Still checking, will get back to u when I find something.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 09 January 2008 12:31 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 18 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

Cheese Description:
————————————————————————————————————————
  »  Beyaz Peynir «

————————————————————————————————————————

Traditional, unpasteurized, vegetarian, fresh cheese made from sheep’s milk. Pure white and rindless, the cheese has a grainy appearance. It is usually sold in blocks or slices. It is used in salads, pastries and many local dishes. Beyaz Peynir is the most popular Turkish cheese. Vegetable rennet is used to clot the milk. The curds are pressed for a few hours, then roughly chopped and strained, sometimes in attractive wooden or woven moulds. After draining, the cheese is cut into slices before being salted and covered with brine. It is usually stored in brine for more than six months. This cheese resembles feta. It is soaked in cold water or milk before use, to remove the excess salt.

Turkey
Milk:
ewe milk
Texture:
semi-soft
Fat content:
45 % 

Nabil, does this sound like it?- Description from cheese.com

Posted: 09 January 2008 02:22 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 19 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

kevthefarmer, yes it sounds like what i want

Posted: 09 January 2008 08:14 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 20 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

The recipe is on ‘New England Cheesmaking Supplies’ website here….. http://www.cheesemaking.com/text_detail-cPath-37_57_93&products_id=389.php
Good Luck!

Posted: 10 January 2008 07:39 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 21 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

yes , this is wha ti said above, check first page here

Posted: 12 January 2008 09:25 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 22 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

yesterday i started to make this cheese, but i ended up with more rubbery texture, it is not dense and hard…. !!!!

Posted: 13 January 2008 02:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 23 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Be patient- my Feta it always rubbery when it is only one or two days old but it firms right up when it has been in the brine for a little while. Have you cut it into pieces yet? I am curious to know what culture you used and if you have gas bubbles or solid texture?

Posted: 13 January 2008 03:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 24 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

no gas bubbles should be inside, it either mechanical holes or firm, i will cut it today and let u know
thanks for the advise

Posted: 13 January 2008 06:40 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 25 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

by the way if u use only brine (water+salt) the cheese surface will become slippery and start to disolve, i added citric acid to stop that action (i had to use the whey itself)

Posted: 13 January 2008 10:37 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 26 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I read that adding CaCl will also be healthy because the brine will leach the cheese. Dont recall the article

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 January 2008 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 27 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

yeah because higher pH in brine than cheese will take out the calcuim, so adding CaCl2 to brine will help

Posted: 20 January 2008 06:16 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 28 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

i found the name of the cheese which i am talk about:

It is

Cast Feta

now i need your help to search with me…. and when we all try it, belive me u will like it

Posted: 20 January 2008 09:24 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 29 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

UF Procedure (Cast Feta)

1. Standardize milk to P/F = 0.80.

2. Ultrafilter until retentate is 40% solids.

3. Add 3% S. lactis culture and 250 ml rennet/1,000 kg of precheese.

4. Quickly pour into 1 l plastic containers (3/4 full). Cover and allow to ripen to pH 4.8 (18 - 24 hrs.).

5. Add salt (3% of weight of cheese) to surface.

6. Store at 18C for at least 1 week before consumption.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 20 January 2008 09:33 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 30 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

The effects of hydration conditions of milk protein concentrate on the resulting Cast Feta cheese texture

C. J. KUO and W. J. Harper. Food Science and Technology, The Ohio State University, 215 Vivian Hall, 2121 Fyffe Road, Columbus, OH 43210

Cast Feta cheese is similar to Feta cheese with slightly acid and salty taste, but without the crumbling open texture. The production of Cast Feta cheese resulting less whey drainage since the cheese milk contains the similar concentration of protein and fat as the final products. Milk protein concentrate, which can be reconstituted into desirable protein content, is an excellent ingredient for Cast Feta manufacture.

The objective of this study was to investigate the effects on hydration condition of milk protein concentrate (MPC) during Cast Feta cheese production. The degree of hydration of MPC particles is important to develop good texture of Cast Feta cheese. The relationships among time of hydration, MPC particle characteristics, and Cast Feta cheese texture were the focus.

MPC solutions were hydrated in different temperatures for several time periods. After pasteurization, CaCl2, starter culture, and rennet were added into the cheese milk. After the curd set in the container, salt was sprinkled on top of the curd. The cheese was left in the incubator for 24 hours until the pH bellows 5. The containers were stored upside down in the refrigerator. The texture of the cheese was determined by Texture Analyzer, TA-XT, at the 1st day, 7th day, and 14th day, etc.

The texture of cheese did not differ significantly by different hydration temperature. However, the different hydration time did affect the texture. The longer the hydration the firmer the texture. The results corresponded well with the previously results of degree of dissociation of MPC particles from different hydration conditions.

This study provides an further improvement of cheesemaking properties of MPC, which has great impact on the potential usage of this new ingredient.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

< 1 2 3 > 
2 of 3