1 2 > 
1 of 2
Maintaining Milk Temperature
Posted: 08 January 2008 09:14 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

I’d like to query you folks on the best way to maintain proper milk temperature.
I see some recipes call to raise the temperature from the initial step by 10 degrees or so in 2-degree increments over a set time span. Or just holding the initial temperate for a lengthy span of time.
There seems to be two methods employed in doing this, the kitchen sink method of holding the bath water approximately 10-degrees warmer than the required milk temperature, and the double boiler method on the stove.
With the sink method, I have to consider that it’s the middle of winter here in Michigan, the kitchen sink is also against an outside wall, which means the water might cool faster.
On the other hand, the double boiler method, because of the second pot fitting tightly into the first, doesn’t allow for good monitoring of the water jacket temperature around the milk pot. I’m also not sure of how small an adjustment I can make with the stove control(electric).
Now it sounds as though the sink method might be the better of the two. 
Do you raise the sink temperature by pouring in small amounts of boiling water and stirring the water? Does anyone employ anything like a submersible aquarium heater?
I’d be interested in hearing how you are able to achieve and maintain these small incremental temperature increases.

Posted: 08 January 2008 10:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Sink method is good for small batches but since I started using a 16L pot its a pain. Too big for a D Boiler so i decided to use the stove. The most important part though is for the stove not to touch the pot or the milk burns, so used and old chemistry lab trick and use a ring on the stove that separates the pot and stove coils by about 1/2”. U need to then test the stove settings with a bot of water and test the temp changes. it also depends on how much milk u sues because the more u have the slower the temp rise. This is how I do it, stirring is important to keep it even temp.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 January 2008 07:09 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  39
Joined  2007-09-29

I sit the pot directly on the stove top, but have post with the very thick bottoms, which seems to help tremendously.  I also did a lot of experimenting and kept notes.

Signature 

Gemstone

Posted: 09 January 2008 03:06 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

i use :

1- big pan full of water on the stove, then i put the pot inside it.
or
2- in the kitchen sink

Posted: 09 January 2008 11:46 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  18
Joined  2008-01-04

Thats good advice about the chemistry lab ring put on the stove, I was also pondering this, this afternoon when doing my cheddar, using the sink method which I hate as I hate losing the sink. Does anyone know what the proper name for those chemistry rings? xxx

Posted: 09 January 2008 01:16 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  52
Joined  2007-11-05

I make 20 litre batches. I heat ten litres in a 10 litre pot in a double boiler then I put it in a 25 litre pot stood on a sheet of polystyrene insulation. I wrap the 25 L pot (the sides) in a folded duvet and tie it on with string, then culture the milk. I put the lid on and another cuvet on top. (wool bats or other flexible insulation would work). Then I heat the next 10 L.  As it comes close to the desired temp. I check the 25 L pot temp and adjust the temp. of the second batch of milk so that when I add it to the pot the average is exactly what I want. This gives me 30 - 45 mins for the culture to “wake up” and start working in the first batch. This arrangement holds temperature so well there is no measurable drop in the 35 mins it takes me to get a clean break.
  For scalding, I put the whole big pot into a half a 200 L (50 u.s.gal) plastic juice concentrate barrel with warm (usually start at 42 C) water and adjust temp by baling out 2 litres and adding 2 L of boiling.  If you were doing smaller batches you would need the outside water at a cooler (e.g. 36 deg) start temp. as the ratio of milk mass to heat exchange surface is lower, so heat transfers faster at a given temp. differential. The important thing is to start the scalding process gently. You can accelerate it later when the curds are stronger if needs be.
  I seriously think that the use of submersible heaters is a non-starter because heat transfer is a differential process requiring constant monitoring and calculation of energy input. Fine for a factory. Not for me (at the moment!).

Posted: 09 January 2008 01:25 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2008-01-04

I’ve just found something that would work just as well as a chemistry ring put on the stove, the metal grill tray from the inside of the grill seems to be adequate. It lifts the milk pan approximately an inch off the ring and experimenting with water, it seems to do the job. I might try this on next batch xxx

Posted: 09 January 2008 08:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

On the ring is ok for heating the milk prior to renneting, but I do not like it for the scalding. I’ve tried it, including using a wok ring to hold the base of the pan higher off the ring, and I find it is pretty much impossible to avoid a certain amount of rubbery curds. Surely it is within the scope of most people to devise some kind of water bath arrangement

Posted: 09 January 2008 08:50 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  8
Joined  2007-11-25

I use the sink, but put a small plate under the pot so the water can flow around (had trouble raising the temp with out).  then have a pan of very hot water on the stove and add by bit if necessary.  work great

Posted: 09 January 2008 09:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Joined  2007-11-05

Yes I agree, my craft boiler has a perforated element cover that I put in the 100L half-barrel so the warm water can flow under the 25L container. Also, swirl the warm water with your hand or a spoon (not the same one you use for the curds!) as otherwise it stratifies, warm at the top & cooler below.

Posted: 09 January 2008 10:06 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

It realy boils down to what size of batch u are doing and how best maintain the temp and manipulate the temp accurately for cooking, AND what u have available, technically a bathtub would be the best lol.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 13 January 2008 01:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

i bought very cheep device used for fish aquarium, u can set temp from 18C to 35C and it magic, and waterproof ... good idea

Posted: 13 January 2008 07:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Joined  2008-01-04

Have you had good results with that Nabil? is 35c the max? one of my recipes requires 39c xxx

Posted: 13 January 2008 07:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

yeah but it could help before and after renetting, not in cooking

Posted: 13 January 2008 10:49 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

I considered a aquarium heater too, but do not go high enough.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 January 2008 12:04 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 15 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-06-05

but it is nice idea i think ?? what do u think ? as i said before and after renneting , and keeping warm curds during cheddering

1 2 > 
1 of 2