Notes on how to overkill a “cave”
Posted: 08 February 2008 09:34 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  95
Joined  2007-12-07

I recently put my “cave”, new GE fridge, into operation utilizing a couple of Greenair controller products as well. I’ll share my findings in case any of you “serious” cheese makers are interested.
The fridge is the cheaper 16 cu. ft. model, nothing fancy, plain ol’ white upright model.
This is plugged into a Greenair temperature controller (THC-1), which I find at the current setting, maintains the temp between a high of 55 and a low of 47.  I’m pleased so far with this item.
For humidity control, I’m using the Greenair Relative Humidity Controller (RHC-R) in conjunction with an ultrasonic vaporizer inside the fridge. The first problem here was that my first little desktop vaporizer was a push button on/off switch. Turning it on was okay, but once the humidity level was reached, the controller cut the power and the next time it went on, the vaporizer wouldn’t go back on until the button was pushed. The second vaporizer now has a rotary switch which stays set to the on position and does go on and off as directed by the controller.
As for the controller itself, I did have to play with that some. It is mounted to the wall outside the fridge, and has the romote sensor which I have Velcro’d to the fridge wall inside, in the upright position as suggested in the directions. Locating the sensor took a little playing with to get a good location so that you didn’t get a rainstorm from too much humidity.
Because of a lack of air movement, when the humidity was up to 85%-90%, I believe moisture fell on this sensor and always gave a false reading which prevented the controller from going back on when needed. On hitting the reset, I found that the controller would start up, but would shut off after about a minute.
I have since rotated the humidity sensor to a horizontal position below a shelf, and in conjunction put a small desk fan in the crisper drawer which remains open about 3 inches. So when the vaporizer goes on, the fan also goes on and moves the moist air around inside. This has solved the quick shut off problem with the controller and it does stay on long enough to get the humidity up to the 85% range before turning off.
I still believe I have a small problem in getting air movement in order to set off the controller, as my humidity range is running too large, from about 62% to 85%. I also notice when I open the fridge door briefly and close it, that causes just enough air movement to click the controller on, and bringing the humidity back up to the 85% level. Although, this morning when I went down to check the pellet furnace, I noticed the controller was on.
I may want to incorporate an intermittent timer controller on the fan in order to get the air to move around inside periodically, thus causing the humidity controller to go on more regular.
So far, things are moving in the right direction.
I also use a digital Acurite battery operated humidity checker. These are no good in my opinion. They collect too much moisture and at the lower temps the screen goes blank. I’m going to a another brand that remains on the outside of the fridge with a cord sensor that goes into the fridge which will give a temp reading as well as a high/low humidity reading. This should solve that problem, I hope.
I’ve also incorporated the use of “bar” towels, which I’ve sterilized and rinsed in brine to help maintain the moisture and to, also soak up any excess moisture rather than having puddles sitting on the glass shelves. Hmmm….this sure sounds like a lot of overkill just to gain consistency! LOL

Posted: 08 February 2008 10:43 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

LOL, ahhm, obsession or real dedication. Sounds great what your doing, if I had the money and room i would probably do the same. smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 08 February 2008 10:50 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

I don’t know Neil, I’m still working on trying to figure out why the wife just shakes her head at me and walks away!

Posted: 08 February 2008 07:54 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-01-22

Wow, that really puts my little college dorm fridge to shame! Someday I hope to have the same set of problems and remember to reference your post. Thanks!

Posted: 08 February 2008 11:52 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

oh my head !!!  smile

Posted: 09 February 2008 11:07 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

LOL, I wish I had an acreage wink I would have a cheese shack up before a garage LOL

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 February 2008 06:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 6 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Joined  2007-12-07

I just wanted to report that my Extech 445715, Big Digit Remote Probe Hygro-Thermometer has arrived and been put into use. This is a replacement to the Accurite unit that sat inside the fridge and did not function well.
It is performing as expected, and I can see that the fridge is holding between a max of 98% to a minimum of 84% humidity range. The temp is maintaining at 53F.
My first attempted blue cheese has a beautiful blue mold covering after 10 days.

Posted: 14 February 2008 07:21 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 7 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

i wish i can make a proper cave, good luck

Posted: 14 February 2008 12:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 8 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Pics, Pics, Pics, dont tease us LOL
With the amount you’ve spent, time to make bigger batches, unless your still experimenting LOL

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 14 February 2008 01:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 9 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-01-22

Pictures of your blue? Let’s see it!

Posted: 15 February 2008 03:21 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 10 ]
Active Contributor
RankRank
Total Posts:  42
Joined  2008-01-22

Has anyone ever used a wine cooler to age cheese in?

Sal

Posted: 15 February 2008 05:02 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 11 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

Yup some people do and fins them ideal. Temps are around 8-18 degrees C and start at 100$ (get a good one)

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 February 2008 05:55 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 12 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-02-24

Hello, I’m new to the board. I’m really getting some good ideas here.
Rick, I’ve gotten my old refrig into service as a secondary “finishing"cheese cave . My husband built me a small room to transfer my new “stilton’s” at the barn. The small room is completely sealed, well insulated, wood shelving ect….small AC unit and a humidifier to keep the RH up higher than the “finishing” fridge.  So far so good, however, our temps are becoming warmer here (e.Tex) and the AC unit is not putting the temp to the 50 degrees as I would like. Something might be wrong with the AC unit as this unit should be cooling it better than the 58-60 degrees I’m dealing with on these warmer days. I thought of using a big wash tub filled with ice to help…like the old ice houses. Any suggestions for the cheese room to keep it cooler?

Posted: 25 February 2008 10:48 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 13 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2007-01-15

If u have the money u can line the room with bricks. The stone will help bring down the temp. I u have a fridge in the room then it will heat it up, as well as the ac if its not properly vented.

Welcome to the group smile

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 25 February 2008 02:10 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 14 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  5
Joined  2008-02-24

Thanx.
One wall is brick and I don’t have the refrig in the room…I’m now thinking I might block the light from the window (the sun is at the east but any warmth will inch the temp)...that’s our problem in this area is the heat and humidity.