Can I mature more than 1 type of cheese in the same frigde?
Posted: 20 February 2008 04:13 AM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-11-03

I solved my temperature problem from my last cheese making venture by getting a fridge specifically for cheese. I made blue last week which is getting a lovely blue spread. My brilliant plan was to make cheese every couple of weeks so that I have a constant turnover, except it only occurred to me last night about the potential of the blue mould spores contaminating non blue cheeses that I put in the fridge. What do you reckon? Am I safe if they don’t touch or should I just fill my fridge with blue for the next few months? Cheers guys!!

Posted: 20 February 2008 07:35 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1069
Joined  2007-06-05

i think blue molds will spread ...

Posted: 20 February 2008 10:53 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

Their not airborne but contact in one way or another will spread it. only way would be to cover them in some way to separate them. Keep them on the bottom shelf and make sure hands tools are very clean when going near the cheeses. I have mine mixed together but their aging with a wrapping and have had no contamination. If your other cheeses are maxed then their should be no problem.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 22 February 2008 09:18 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  16
Joined  2007-11-03

thanks! I’ll stick others in and I’ll see what happens. I was going to wrap in a couple of weeks anyway…..

Tootaloo

Posted: 23 February 2008 11:13 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  137
Joined  2008-01-22

On a related note, can the stronger smells of some cheese alter the smell and taste of other cheeses? For example, I have a Stilton, some Goat Crottins, Parmesan Goat Cheddar and at the same time some milder cheeses like white/b.Linen molded cheeses and now the cave smells like a garbage can. Anyone have issues here? Is it necessary to put them in containers?

Posted: 23 February 2008 12:00 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 5 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

LOL, yes they can, fortunately most of my cheeses are waxed and my Stilton it wrapped in plastic. Its when u open the door and get hit in the face with cheese smell is were u need to have concern of cross smells. proper wrapping in cheese paper or the proper medium for the type of cheese will eliminate that problem.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole