Running Commentary
Posted: 03 January 2004 07:41 PM   [ Ignore ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  410
Joined  2004-07-16

This thread captures some of my concerns/issues with my cheese making as well as key learnings along the way.

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 03 January 2004 07:47 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Recently, I’ve had two problems that I’m trying to resolve.

First, I really have a difficult time getting the curds to set up as “firm” as they are supposed to. They do not create a “clean break” after the proper amount of time. Instead, a knife inserted into the curd comes out coated with curd. I think this is because the acidity is not high enough. So, I’ve tried adding some calcium chloride to the milk as I begin to heat it, and, I’m going to start adding a small additional amount of rennet over what the recipe calls for. I’ve also got some PH strips and plan to start tracking the PH of the milk.

Second, when I do get decent curds, in the press they don’t meld together properly. I get a cheese round that has cracks in it. Ususally the cracks are there after the pressing, but sometimes they form shortly afterwards. My references say this is because the curd is “too dry”, but I find this hard to believe because it tends to happen in the same cheeses that exhibit the problem described above.

Anyway, the source of milk could be an issue…temperatures at over 5000 feet…

I’m going to start always treating the milk with calcium chloride and adding about 25% additional rennet…I’ll let you know how it goes. (I hate throwing away 2 gallons of milk at over $3.00 a gallon…)

Signature 

Rick Robinson

Posted: 05 January 2004 03:59 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Administrator
RankRankRankRankRank
Joined  2004-07-16

Adding some calcium chloride and boosting the rennet slightly did not help on my last batch of cheese—a Parmesan made with 1/2 goat milk and 1/2 skim cow milk. The curds were still very soft and wet. I proceeded with the cheese (instead of throwing it out like my failed attempt at Stilton) by heating it to 120

Signature 

Rick Robinson