Humidity in the desert?
Posted: 10 May 2009 01:20 PM   [ Ignore ]
New Visitor
Rank
Total Posts:  6
Joined  2007-09-15

Hello!

I have a humidity question.  I live in the high desert & am wondering if anyone has tips for humidity control.  I am thinking abt using a wine chiller fridge as i found the dorm fridge to be to cold, but humidity i think is a problem. 
For example, I just finished pressing a swiss & it calls for being left out in a warm kitchen like area with 85% humidity and to be wiped with a damp salt rag everyday for 2 weeks.  Warm kitchen yes.  Wiping no problem.  85% humidity, not a chance….

Any ideas or experience that might be helpful would be great!

Thanks

Posted: 10 May 2009 04:23 PM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 1 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

U could get one of those Styrofoam coolers and place it on the side and place some kind of racks in it with a jar of brine at the bottom (brine so it does not go moldy).

Signature 

The Cheese Hole

Posted: 11 May 2009 12:08 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 2 ]
Power User
RankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  326
Joined  2009-02-10

I am afraid a Styrofoam cooler will isolate the ambient temp. May be just an ordinary plastic box with the lid closed or partially opened and as Neil said, a jar of brine inside the box.

Signature 

Alex-The Cheesepenter

Posted: 11 May 2009 03:17 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 3 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  1450
Joined  2008-05-14

You may find, as I did, that a container of liquid will not be enough in increase the humidity to a suitable level.  In that case, take a clean cotton cloth and dip one end in the brine and allow the other end to hang out of the jar as a wick.  This will increase the surface area of the liquid and allow for greater evaporation.

Signature 

Rich

Posted: 11 May 2009 10:44 AM   [ Ignore ]   [ # 4 ]
Indispensable
RankRankRankRankRank
Total Posts:  2415
Joined  2007-01-15

A pan will do, depends on the temp, one can adjust the levels between the sizes. Using a cloth can lead to contamination.

Signature 

The Cheese Hole