Swiss Cream Cheese
Posted: 04 June 2009 10:55 AM   [ Ignore ]
Major Contributor
RankRankRank
Total Posts:  98
Joined  2009-05-26

I found this recipe online; it’s SUPER simple. I used 1/3 cream and 2/3 whole cow’s milk and it yielded ALOT of super rich, soft and creamy cream cheese which I used for mini cheesecakes. Posting photos of that in another section…
Enjoy!

Swiss Cream Cheese
Glengarry Cheesemaking & Dairy Supply
Batch size: 2 or 3 litres, skim or whole milk, full cream or raw milk, from cow or goat

Expected yield: 20% by volume. From 3 litres of whole milk, you would get 600 grams of cheese. (approximate 1 1/3 pounds). The yield goes down as the fat content of the milk drops.

Room temperature: 20-24 degrees C. (68 - 75 degrees F.)

I N G R E D I E N T S
2 -3 litres skim or whole milk (goat or cow), full cream or raw milk (2 - 3.25 quarts)
200 ml mesophilic culture (10% by volume) or ¼ tsp mesophilic powder culture for 2 litres or ½ tsp for 3 litres, or ¼ tsp mesophilic pellets (Hensen R703)
2-3 drops of liquid Rennet

I N S T R U C T I O N S
In a clean pot, pasteurize milk at 62 C or 145 F and hold for 20 minutes, if using raw milk

Cool milk down to 20-24 C in a cool water bath

Add 200 ml mesophilic culture (10% by volume) or ¼ tsp mesophilic powder culture for 2 litres or ½ tsp for 3 litres, or ¼ tsp mesophilic pellets (Hensen R703). Mix well into the milk.

Add 2-3 drops of liquid rennet and stir well.

Cover the pot and allow the milk to set at room temperature until a firm curd forms. It will take 14-16 hrs.

Once a firm curd has formed and one can see some clear whey on the top of the curd, pour the entire curd into a cheesecloth draining bag and let drip for 8-12 hrs until bag feels slightly damp.

Remove the cream cheese from the bag and store in a clean container, salt and herb to taste. You can use fresh or dry herbs. Product will keep for 2 weeks in the refrigerator.

Image Attachments
Swiss cream cheese.jpgSwiss cream cheese1.jpgSwiss cream cheese2.jpgWee cheesecakes1_.jpg

‹‹ Colby      Munster Cheese Making Recipe ››